Another Suppressor Question

rdmallory

I am thinking about going through the paperwork to get a suppressor. My question is does the $200 tax apply to the tube or whole assembly.

If I buy a 45acp suppressor for my Mac10 can I change the ends and baffles and use on a 5.7x28 or would that require a new tax fee?

Doug

Skans

The $200 is for the whole assembly. You can't just buy baffles and parts for your silencer. Each and every part of a silencer is considered by BATFE to be a silencer.

So, if you have a suppressor and make parts for it, you now have one registered suppressor and a bunch of illegal unregistered suppressors. You can't order parts for your suppressor - if it breaks it will have to be repaired by the manufacturer, or someone license to make suppressors.

rdmallory

Thanks, for the info. So it is not like switching uppers on a AR15 lower.

So if I get a .22 suppressor I should be able to use it on a .223, .22, and 5.7 as long as they are threaded the same and.

Doug

rattletrap1970

Yes. If you threaded every .22 you owned you could use the suppressor on any of them. However, find out from your suppressor manufacturer if a suppressor you bought for a pistol is safe for use with a rifle. The pressures are higher and the gas volume they produce is vastly different (you will get much less performance out of a pistol suppressor used on a rifle, if you can even do that safely).

Skans

No. Generally speaking, you cannot use a suppressor made for a .22LR with a .223. The ones made to be used with .223 are much heavier duty - they need a bigger expansion chamber and beefier components.

However, there is some interchangeability with suppressors. A suppressor designed for .40 S&W could probably be used for 9mm, .380, maybe even some smaller calibers if you could make an adaptor. Pistol suppressors are not generally interchangeable with rifle suppressors.

rattletrap1970

You may want to get the .223 suppressor and use it on the pistols. I have to imagine it would work very well on a .22 LR. Just make sure that is cool from the MFG.

rdmallory

Ok, The .223 is out.

Do you think if I got one for my FN FiveSeven pistol I could also use it on my S&W 15-22 rifle with no issues?

I so does anyone have a recommendation on brand?

Doug

Willie Lowman

The SWR Specter is rated for fullauto .22lr fire or semi auto .22 mag and semi auto 5.7mm

If you are going to shoot .22 suppressed, get a take apart can.

Last edited: