Another stupid one - 1st field stripping of my new Sig...

DanP

Did I put it back together properly?

Page 13 of the common manual for the P220/225/226...etc. says that when re-assembling one should make sure the recoil spring has its narrower end slipped over the guide first.

Well the spring looks entirely equal to me, both ends appear identical.

Tried it both ways and everything seems just fine either way.

This is a P239. I was planning on taking it to the range tomorrow.

Since this is a multi-model manual could this just not apply to the P239? Thoughts?

Thanks!

notbubba

I have a 229 and a 245.
I had a 239 but it didn't fit me hand well so I sold it.

The spring goes on either way on all three.

Have fun at the range.

Chris Orndorff

If you can discern that one end is tighter than the other, then the tighter end should go on the guide rod first. It is not always that apparent, and the pistol will likely function fine with the spring on either way.

GSB

I had the same problem with the p232. The spring will go on either way, and it looks pretty much the same at both ends, but it won't go back together if reversed. At least, after much grunting and swearing, I concluded it wouldn't.

coati

As per Chris but mine seems to have a slightly looser spring wrap opposite the guide rod end. I think all this may change over time.

teombe

I also have a NIB P239 that I haven't fired yet. If there is a difference between one end of the spring and the other, I haven't noticed. My 4 yr old P229 is the same way. I'm sure I've put the spring on both ways, and havent' had a single problem or malfunction (and it's a braided spring). Happy shooting!