another redundant supressor question for missouri.

ausher

ok i bought me a 22/45 and going to do a few mods to it like a pac-lite upper with a threaded barrel. i like the fact it has a threaded barrel for a compressor, but it also can be for a suppressor. i have no problem going to my local sheriff to sign the form needed, but only thing against my record other than traffic violations is a domestic dispute charge like 14 years ago. will that prohibit me getting the tax stamp?

hknut

Maybe. Some domestics are misdemeanors and some are felonies. Your best bet it to contact a FFL dealer in your area that deals with suppressors and ask him what he thinks.

ausher

well when i bought the gun they did the background check and everything was fine. i can buy a pistol without any problems.

David Hineline

In MO you will also have to get a C+R or other FFL license. If you can pass a NICS check for a firearms purchase you can own NFA firearms.

Speedy Warrior

Hi everyone sorry to dig up this old thread but I have a question about this question.

So after reading about what a C&R is i don't understand how a person with a ffl 03 C&R can buy/own a suppressor in Missouri. Would it have to a 50 year old suppressor? Can anyone shead a little more light on this for me?

tirod

I have the C&R app on my dresser to mail in.

Missouri changed the suppressor ownership law in Aug of 2008. You can now possess them if you have an FFL license. The C&R license is, so that suffices. Go the BATF website and request the application on line or by phone. Their hard copy is the only one they accept at the present. Fill out both sets, one for the BATF, one to mail to the Authority in charge of your specific legal jurisdiction. That's the responding agency if you dial 911, not the post office town name on your address. That jurisdiction gets the other copy of the BATF form.

You pay $30 for a three year license. Understand it allows you to buy C&R legal firearms and ship them directly to your home. You are required to log them into a "bound" book to verify they are on the premises, subject to the rare inspection by the BATF. It does not make you a FFL for a living, collecting sales tax, and dealing in non-C&R firearms.

License in hand, you can then purchase an suppressor, which requires going through the NFA hurdles of the BATF. That is a completely different procedure, where either the "Chief Law Enforcerer's" signature, or a trust set up and registered for the county are needed.

There are good reasons for a CLEO to refuse to sign - unfunded mandate, or simply never having to know what's out there if confronted by the media. That's not a bad position, as the BATF would be "to blame" for some future situation. Don't take it personally, especially if they don't even know you. It's been recommended and done to have a trust drawn up in Quicken, but many will insist it be a lawyer do it. You decide, suppressors aren't cheap once the price, $200 tax stamp, and the wait are all factored in.

Missouri does not presently have a regulation against using a suppressor when hunting. After all the hoop jumping, having an agent confiscate a suppressor, firearm, vehicle, plus any seat time in jail, it would seem to be irresponsible to also be ignorant of hunting regulations.

Step #1, C&R. Step #2, NFA application. Save your pennies up.

threecharley

My stepdad had a domestic dispute 25 yrs ago and a protective order placed and removed from him and they wont issue a CCW or a sbr tax stamp to him in oklahoma.. hope this helps.

Speedy Warrior

Thank you Tirod. I was anaware of the law change. In your post you have the steps of going through the atf hoops but I thought if you had a ffl then you could buy without a background check everytime? Or does that not apply for class 3 items without a SOT?

David Hineline

The original poster is in MO so a trust does not apply to him.

He needs get the C&R then he can go silencer shopping subject to the whims of his local CLEO.

So he should talk to his CLEO and local NFA dealer first to make sure the process will go through where he chose to live.

Cheapshooter