Another question on 38 special +P Smith and Wesson

roaddog28

Since Smith and Wesson does not recommend shooting 38 special +P ammo in pre 1958 revolvers why then did law enforcement carry the "Chicago" load (LSWCHP)? From what I have read this is a +P load. My revolver is a K-38 Combat Masterpiece pre 1957. Serial number is K164XXX. Did law enforcement start using the "Chicago" load when Smith and Wesson went to Model numbers?.

I would like know because I want to carry ammo in the revolver for self defense and would like to know the option.

Thanks

Elvishead

Since Smith and Wesson does not recommend shooting 38 special +P ammo in pre 1958 revolvers

I think that's your anwser.

I would just go with a reg 158g HPs. Ohh, and I do, in my mid 80s S&W .38spl.

madmag

Since Smith and Wesson does not recommend shooting 38 special +P ammo in pre 1958 revolvers

Gun companies like to play safe. Early +P loads were not controlled. Some were very hot indeed. Now if you buy over the counter stuff that meets SAAMI standards it is not really that hot. I shot +P in my model 10 (pre-58)with no problems. And I shoot +P in my 1969 model 36.

This is my opinion. All good condition (all steel) Smith's can handle modern +P stuff just fine. And I am still waiting to see a photo or verified story of a Smith being damaged by modern +P ammo.

I would like know because I want to carry ammo in the revolver for self defense and would like to know the option.

I carry Gold Dot +P in any Smith I own without worry....but that's me.

Buffalo Bore +P stuff is on the upper edge of SAAMI, but I still think safe to use.

(All above opinions are mine, not responsible for mis-use or upset stomach:p).

Last edited:

Sneezer

Buy another gun that lets you shoot those guaranteed super-duper show stopper rounds if you have any doubts about the rounds the gun was made to shoot.
NOTE...the super duper rounds will become null and void in two weeks when they come out with the new ones.

KyJim

I believe the steel is stronger in the 1958 and later revolvers. I would not shoot +P ammo in pre-58 revolvers. They might not blow up but they will stress the frame more. If you want to use an older revolver for defense, there are some pretty decent standard pressure loads you can use.

JB in SC

No, a few cylinder fulls of +P's won't blow the gun up :) but a constant diet will stretch the frame and wear the revolver prematurely.

There are a few standard pressure loads that would serve you well. The Buffalo Bore standard pressure 158 grain SWC-HC is about the best I've used. It's cast soft and has a gas checked Keith type bullet.

Tim Sundles at Buffalo Bore swears it's standard pressure, but it chronographs about 850 out of my Model 60 and is a handful I can assure you :D

Bear in mind that cast bullets can be driven at higher velocities with lower pressures than jacketed bullets. The BB sure shoot well out of my S&W's.

Buzzcook

I wouldn't worry about putting +p ammo in your pistol. Standard 158gr swc .38 specials will be deadly enough if you put in the practice.

If your K .38 is in good shape you should be able to swap it straight up for a not too beat up stainless .357, but you'll have to get used to kicking yourself in the butt for doing it.

WES

How old is my pistol, and can I shoot +p ammo safely

This was my Grandfathers pistol, and I have been shooting for 20 years, and am a fine shot with it. It is a model 36, .38 speacial, serial number j466xxx. My question is how old is it approximately, and if it is safe to shoot +p ammo through.. I carry this pistol most places with me, and would like to know a little more about it, but it is hard to find info on some S&W pistols..

roaddog28

Thanks guys for your input. I believe I will stay with standard pressure 38 specials. Buffalo Bore as well as Magtech and Remington have standard pressure loads for older 38s like mind. I will never sell my combat masterpiece. I is by far the most accurate revolver I have ever used. I have small hands and the revolver fits perfectly. If I find a M19 or 66 used I will consider buying either one.

Thanks guys for clearing up some confusion for me.

roaddog

mnhntr

After doing some research into reloading, it seems the factory +P ammo out there is not even close to max potency. And i am suprised at really how mild almost all factory ammo is.