Another question here(ammo)

cheddar

Got my 24/7... questions about ammo...
What is 180 gr? (mainly the gr.)
What do I need guys?
American eagle is dirt cheap here now.($7.00 on clearence for 50)
Anyone have experience with remington umc?

THANKS

mete

Newbie ? Gr = grains, a unit of weight. 470 grains = 1 ounce. 180 gr ? Do you mean in .40 cal ? I use .40 cal 180 gr Winchester White Box and buy it by the case. It's a flat nosed FMJ bullet [ full metal jacket]. The FMJ is fine for practice but use JHP for carry or home defense.

tjhands

OK, so I'm assuming you bought a Taurus 24/7 in .40 caliber, right?

Any of the cheap ammo will be fine for practice, but as someone above said, for actual self-defense ammo, you will want a jacketed hollow point bullet (JHP). Gold Dot, Winchester Silvertip, Cor-Bon, Federal Hydra-Shock, Hornady TAP are some good ones. Whatever type you buy, do NOT just buy a box of 20 rounds, load up and think you're good to go. I know these brands are expensive, but you need to make 100% certain that your gun will reliably feed that particular type of ammo. A life-and-death situation isn't the time to find out that your gun doesn't like Gold Dots or whatever brand you go with.
Some people say a couple hundred rounds without any failures is the minimum they'd go with. If that's cost-prohibitive for you, then go with 100 rounds

Even with only 100 rounds, you'll be looking at around $75 for it. Sounds like a lot, but it's worth it to know that when the poop hits the fan you aren't likely to have a misfeed.

cheddar

carry isnt something I have the luxury to worry about right now...Im in WI.
I am just looking to familiarize myself with the gun with lots of shooting. I was really uncertain when buying ammo. I got a box (50) federal american eagle(155gr) and 50 of the rem. UMC (180 gr)
Anything else you guys would recomend trying?(for targets)

hksigwalther

470 grains = 1 ounce.

Mmm. More accurately, 7000 grains = 1 pound (437.5 gr = 1 oz) [avoirdupois]. An old unit of measure that was used in England/Britain that signified a grain a barley, i.e. 7000 barley grains ~ 1 lb.