Another police "error". A good ending.

WYO

It is not an "error" to take reasonable action that turns out, in hindsight, to have been unnecessary. :)

SpazzTrap

It's good that the van's owners understood and were cool about it. Here in Kali, they would have sued for a mil and won.

Long Path

If anything, I'd say they waited a little long in doing what they did. Once the decision is made to enter the car, don't mess around; pop that window!
Typically it costs less to replace a window than to fix body damage from other methods of trying to get in. (slim jims rarely work these days, without careful practice on THAT model and year of car, and even then, it can take 20 minutes for the pros.)

Big bummer about the hand.

griz

At work a couple of years ago there was a guy who forgot he was supposed to take the baby to day care that day, usually his wife did it. The baby didn't make it. Like the man said, it's worth a whole bunch of windows to prevent something like that.

buzz_knox

The only Monday morning quarterbacking I'll do is agree they waited too long. ;)

Nice to see police who live up to the motto "protect and serve".

HankB

In this case, the cops made an honest, truly well-intentioned mistake, and the department is picking up the tab for repairs. Good all around. (except for the cut)

Kids and pets have died - often - when some idiot leaves them in a hot car. But I'm puzzled - here's a hypothetical situation: Suppose some moron leaves a dog in his car on a hot day. Cop breaks window to rescue overheated pet - dog bites cop - cop shoots dog. What happens, other than a couple of lawyers making enough $$$ to pay for their kid's college tuition?

David Scott

Florida is abuzz right now over the recent heat-stroke death of a two year old left in a van at a Daytona Beach daycare center. The cops probably had this in mind, and acted swiftly to prevent what looked to them like another tragedy in the making. Good job, officers!

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
I agree that the crime here is $243 for the window! As far as the officers I think they did the right thing. Hell I have seen some of my daughters dolls that look real without looking through the tinted window of a van. I know it would have been hard to tell the difference. The news article did not mention what model Dodge Caravan it was but the wife has a 2000 Dodge Caravan and from the factory the tint in the side, and rear windows is pretty dark.

Now to the lighter side.............I wonder if the officers will take the same type of teasing from their fellow officers as the fireman did for rescuing the mannaquin in the movie Backdraft? :D Some how I bet they will! I just hope that if the same thing happens again they act in the same manner just as quickly.

There is a wonderful episode of COPS where a similar mistake occured. I think it was shot in Ft. Worth, but am not certain. The officer saw a house on fire, called the fire boys, and then proceeded to bang on the door and eventually breaking out several windows while shouting there was a fire. There was some very dramatic footage as the fire roared over the house. As it turned out, it was the house next door that was on fire. Fortunately, that house was vacant or not currently occupied. The chagrinned officer apologized to the lady for breaking her windows. The cop's supervisor asked why he broke so many of them and the officer responded with something along the lines of not being about to break open a large enough area to actually gain entry himself. While bothered, the old lady was smiling by the time it was over and the police had said they would certainly pay for the damage.

I can live with mistakes like these. To err on the side of being too safe is often just an inconvenience. Erring on the side of not being safe enough can result in trajedy.