another pesky question

jrklaus

Why would you want to do so?

No, I wouldn't ever fire anything in a firearm except that ammunition for which it is specifically chambered, or .38 Special in .357 Magnum, or .44 Special in .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt in .454 Casull, etc.

Handy

9x18 (the Russian one) is actually a larger diameter than 9x19 and .380 - so it won't fit in the chamber of a 9x19 gun.

.380 will fit and fire in a 9x19 gun, but won't cycle the action completely. It is also not so good for the barrel.

Generally, similar rounds are made in such a way that the more powerful one won't fit in guns chambered for the lesser round. .38 and .357 are good examples, as well.

I have some suspicians about 9x19 and Makarovs, but I would need to tinker before we go down that street.

Jehzsa

Might try 9x18 Ultra(Police). It's got a .355 bullet which should be an "adequate" fit in a 9x19 pistol, at least for a couple of shots. Wouldn't try it though on a .380 pistol. Even with the mild Geco load, the gun might KB.

Of course don't mix n' match like that. Burgers with burgers, cheeseburgers with cheeseburgers.

cosmolinelover

I heard from "some guy" that you could put .380's in a 9x18mm Makarov so its gotta be true :D

seriously though.... a friend of mine did say that to me once... it worried me a little

Handy

You can put .380s in a Mak. The velocity will be low, the accuracy terrible, and it may jam.

But it certainly would work.

Dos

Dont

Don't ever put a round in anything except what it is designed for. Check out makarov.com. People have lost fingers and eyes pulling such stunts. It's not worth it.