Another One

FoxtrotRomeo

Well I did it again. lol

Another 1911. Funny how this happens to all of us 1911 guys. I put this one on layaway.

The Story.

I've been looking for a TRP and a TLE II at a decent price. I've also been taking a liking to the Range Officer model too. However I wished that the Range Officer model came with night sights while I was looking at it. Either way I knew I was going to drop 8 something easy for either a RO or the Custom II that I was looking at that was a look a like to the TLE II beside it. Then it hit me, Those were not both ROs. So I looked at the difference.

Both were parkerized but first factor, the slightly more expensive one had SAs night sights with the stainless rings (bingo), it also had front slide serrations (not a necessity but nice), small parts (slide release, safety, etc.) looked like they were coated in Armory Kote (subtle accents, very nice). I asked to see it, the front sight blade was slim, easy to pick up (SA means business when arming you for SD, points for extra brain power applied to the sights), hit the slide release, easy to use spring, may have to get a stiffer spring (my preference, love an 18.5 lb or 20 some odd pound recoil spring), smooth grip just like the RO, stainless barrel and bushing just like the RO, Parkerized finish like the RO and what looks to be a stainless recoil spring plug with a small hole (too small for a standard FLGR), unique very nice. The sights also looked like they were coated with Armory Kote as well (consistant accents, good thinking), parkerizing is smooth and has a good feel, not like sandpaper (not a want for me but very nice), flat MSH (I like) with what looks to be 25 LPI checkering (Very nice, I like 30 LPI on the front strap though but with the front strap being smooth and with an interesting feel compared to checkered front straps.), bevertail grip safety seems to also be either blued or coated in Armory Kote (memory is fuzzy on that) but still a bonus (I don't like the A1 style one as I heard that some people end up with it biting them) and a pair of cocobolo grips with the crossed cannons on them (been wanting a set of those on a future springer too).

So I dropped half on the thing and put it on layaway. Didn't need it but I wanted it. lol

I think it's one of the "loaded" models but I'm not sure. It has the Ambi-Safety which works for me because I'm as I have said about a billion times, an ambidextrous shooter.

FoxtrotRomeo

Congrats !!
So which one did you put in lay-a-way ?

The SA 1911 with the night sights. Eventually I'll get a TLE II as well.

Funny how those 1911's multiply....... Good luck with the new pup!

Thanks, yeah I'll prolly put up good patterns just the same with it at the range. Somewhere in heaven my USN WWII vet grandfather is grinning from ear to ear over every 1911 I have. lol

"I dont know how another gun got in the safe, honey. those 1911s just multiply like rabbits". Let me know if that line works. I have to find a new one to explain a couple new acquisitions to the wife. lol

FoxtrotRomeo

"I dont know how another gun got in the safe, honey. those 1911s just multiply like rabbits". Let me know if that line works. I have to find a new one to explain a couple new acquisitions to the wife. lol

:) Not married, I'm in a "friends first" situation, she doesn't live with me and she's a sucker for certain clothing and shoe sales. :) I'm covered. lol

She knows I go to the range and have guns but I don't talk too much about it, makes me appear normal and allows me to show that I care about what she's interested in. It's all good.

I did find out it is the loaded model, slight deviation from the appearance of the one shown in the pic on the SA website. To be honest I like the changes better, looks nicer.

I also found out that the "recoil plug" is actually the front of the two piece guide rod after all. I'm used to seeing the standard looking one with the plug with the big hole in it and the thick rod. I'll be changing that out in the near future with a new stiffer recoil spring and a GI style guide rod and stainless plug to match the bushing to keep the accents the same. I already have the guide rod and plug picked out, just gonna get it later.