another new build 12" 6.5 grendel pistol/sbr

mel80

in my hands its an form1 sbr but im gifting this to somone so i put it on another lower with a pistol brace. im going to build another identical upper for me to keep as the sbr i was just waiting on the results from my range testing.

first up out of the box hitting steel at range with a 4x fixed power mildot
61LgUvN.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teL2gDAhUbU

140g hornady hpbt match testing
eNssUKk.jpg

110 controled chaos
GfIBg8H.jpg

i blame me for the flier i had my atn on the gun and forgot the light restrictor plate since i normally only use this particular scope at night so target was supper pixelated/blurry which is why i only shot a 3 rd group

90g speer tnt also shot with the atn
wipCebD.jpg

mel80

just loaded up 20 140g eld-m over 28g of ppv to retest in the pistol with either the atn 4k or my glass scope

stagpanther

The ATN doesn't have the resolution to really be useful for precision shooting much beyond 100 yds in my experience, but in the right conditions can be VERY useful for precision work close; the software interpreted information eliminates the mechanical uncertainties of the internal mechanics of traditional scopes. The menuing format is a unwieldy IMO, but at the same time it's rather exceptional that they "swung for the fence" by giving you almost all the electronic capabilities of the platform (even if it's the size and weight of a boat anchor). I foresee the day maybe about 5 years from now when the technology is fully mastered and available in smaller, higher-resolution packages at affordable prices.

9x19

Nice looking build.

I'm quite fond of my 12" Grendel, although it has only had factory ammo through it so far.

XZStw40.jpg

mel80

The ATN doesn't have the resolution to really be useful for precision shooting much beyond 100 yds in my experience, but in the right conditions can be VERY useful for precision work close; the software interpreted information eliminates the mechanical uncertainties of the internal mechanics of traditional scopes. The menuing format is a unwieldy IMO, but at the same time it's rather exceptional that they "swung for the fence" by giving you almost all the electronic capabilities of the platform (even if it's the size and weight of a boat anchor). I foresee the day maybe about 5 years from now when the technology is fully mastered and available in smaller, higher-resolution packages at affordable prices.

i dont know ive ever really had a problem with it ive been able to shoot almost as good with it as i can with glass and ive got some pretty extreame range varmint kills with it at night no less
atnscope used here
5uB5R05.jpg

that being said i still tighten my roups up slightly using glass overthe atn
ive been doing all my load dev work at 200-300yards latley as well

stagpanther

Those groups above were shot with the atn at 2 to 300 yds? That must be sub .25 MOA!!:eek: Between the pixillation, color distortion and color of the reticle I can't see much with decent resolution for precision work at distances too far past 100 yds. Oh to have young eyes. :)

mel80

i dont rember the exact distance i shot that at but this was while i was in vegas at the clark county range at 200y for sure with those same rounds except just bulk loaded out of my powder thrower
M2D1p9T.jpg

mel80

going to play with some norma 202 tommorow
running a ladder test tomorrow loaded up 35 rds 5 each at

27.4*
27.6*
27.8*

hornaday brass and fed 205m primers at 2.280 oal used in 26.6-27.2
starline nickle brass and fed 205m's used on all loads marked with an * oal of 2.280
may continue this ladder higher depending on tommorows results

ill be shooting these out of my 12inch monster grendel build for now

ANYTHING OVER 27.4 IS OVER BOOK MAX USE CAUTION
169y5t6.jpg

based on data this powder should out perform the ppv ive been using to launch rdfs out of my 20 and 28" builds , since i need to do more accuracy testing with a proper setup for the 12" i figured ill shoot theese out of it while i do my other testing i need to do on it and see how the 202 performs

im also testing some 85g with varget loads , and going to reshoot the 140g loads with my 5-26x glass on it instead of the fixed 4x mildot

mel80

47liJ1C.jpg

200y 85g sierra varminters over 30.1g of varget
thats a 5 rd and a 3rd moved the scope down a few clicks after the first 5
yecjyRK.jpg

Last edited:

mel80

i do not have time to post all my pictures right now but so far the rdf / 202 results are looking like this
everything except 27.2 and 27.8 was horrible
27.2 shows promise
27.8 was effin fantastic minus 1 flier which i know was me but i will retest to be sure

i am going to retest the 27.8 along with also testing some at 27.7 and 27.8 27.9 to see if i can tighten this group up a tad more , ill get a picture up soon as i can
my over book max load of 27.8 shows no ejector , primer etc marks, everything looks mint