Another M1 question

Khornet

With an empty magazine, no clip in place, and the bolt locked back, when I depress the follower and pull back slightly on the op rod handle then release, the bolt often stops at the point contacts the follower. This is when I'm being careful not to let the bolt slam shut on an empty rifle to avoid battering metal. When the bolt stops there, depressing the follower out of the way does not release the bolt. I'm not tenderly easing the bolt forward, just 'braking' it enough to prevent slamming. If I just let 'er fly after depressing follower and pulling back slightly from locked-open position, it slams forward just fine. Rifle is very clean, oiled, and assembled properly as far as I can see, and does not FTF when shooting. It may not matter, but what gives?

swampyMO

Khornet,

Could be just a slight "catch point" in the mechanics. I think it's caused by the op-rod lug, which rides in the groove on the side of the receiver, riding slightly up into the dismount notch in the receiver groove at just the point you are talking about. The lug "catches" here and hangs until you give it a slight push.

Probably it happens that when you depress the follower and ease the op-rod forward with your right hand you are applying upward pressure (or maybe donward pressure??) to the op-rod handle, causing the lug to catch in the notch??

Always make sure the lug and this groove are well greased. This may not prevent it from happening every time but might help keep it from wearing the lug and notch further.

Just my thoughts, simple as they are.... :)
Garands forever,
Swampy

Noban

What Swampy said. I experienced the same "problem" with my first Garand. I discovered that the binding ceased when I placed either a slight downward or straight back pressure on the op rod handle rather than lifting up on it. Lifting causes it to bind in the dismount notch. There is no problem with your Garand, just with the operator. :D

Noban