Another Luger Thread

CajunBass

I'd never really though about getting a Luger until a couple of days ago I saw this one on sale my my LGS for $550.00. Since Lugers are usually in the "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" case, I was surprised to see it in the "regular gun" case.

Obviously, it had been refinished. I didn't think those were the original grips. Still it was a Luger, and as such, interesting. I know almost as much about buying a Luger, as I would about buying a used flying saucer, but I went ahead and looked at it anyway.

It was made by DWM. It's chambered for 9mm Luger. On the top of the frame is the number "1916". I assume that's a manufacture date. The S/N is 6570. The number "70" is on all of the major parts, including the magazine, that I looked at. The magazine base however is aluminum, not the wood that I knew some Luger magazines have.

A little looking around and asking on a couple of forums has led me to believe that it's what's called a "VOPO" Luger, refinished/rebuilt by the East Germans after the war, for use by their police forces, and surplussed sometime after the wall came down. No real collectors value, but just the kind of thing I'm willing to take a chance on so I can say I've owned/shot a Luger.

I haven't got it yet, it's in the layaway bin at my LGS. I'm "thinking it over" but reasonably sure I'll bring it home sooner or later.

Jim Watson

Agree, that is what I learned to call a VOPO Luger out of East Germany.

The aluminum bottom magazine is surely "force numbered" to the gun and the sear bar has been numbered to match with an electric pencil.

While it is not as good a find as a 1918 Imperial Luger, about any complete and functional Luger is worthwhile and I bet there is a E. German and/or Russian reissue collector's niche. Simpson asks $995 for a couple of the type.

carguychris

In my area, that's a pretty good price for ANY functional and complete 9mm Luger, and a DARN GOOD price for one that doesn't look like it's been dragged behind a truck down a gravel road and/or bathed in salt water. :)

gyvel

And, yes it does have collector value. Virtually all VoPos were refinished. It is a definite piece of Cold War history.

Look under the barrel and see if there is a Suhl proof mark and a date of (for example) 8 53.

Pilot

Buy it. They are usually good shooters. I bought a 1941 Mauser Luger in the early 90's, after the wall came down. Mine came back through Russia. It was re-blued (dipped) but retained all the Nazi markings but has black bakelite grips. I have read where the Russians took of the wooden grips, and stored the Lugers in barrels of oil. Don't know if that is true or not.

Mine has been 100% reliable with all ammo including my reloads, hollow points, and lead cast rounds. It is also very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for self defense in a pinch.

Quentin2

Hard to beat for that price if complete and functional. I bought a "shooter" condition P.08 in 1975 and shoot it I have! Lugers are interesting and great conversation pieces. They still draw a crowd at the shooting range. I've never been sorry I bought mine.

JeffK

Lugers are fun to shoot, the balance is quite a bit different and the (slight) recoil is different, but you get used to it. They're quite accurate too, or can be, and fun to tinker with. I personally wouldn't shoot anything but cheap FMJ practice rounds through mine, but I spent a lot more on my numbers-matching '37.

44 AMP

Staff
The original 9mm Luger round was a 124gr fmj at 1050fps from the 4" barrel.

Shortly before WWI they changed the ammo to a 115gr fmj at 1150fps from the 4" barrel. That is the ammo Lugers are made to run on.

Run anything hotter, and you risk early failure of something.