Another Kimber Question

pipoman

I ordered a Kimber Pro CDP December 13, 05. I was told at that time the pistol would be in the 3rd week of Jan. 06. The 3rd week of Jan I was told 2 more weeks. Now I was told yesterday 6 more weeks. This would bring my wait to 3 1/2 months for a production pistol.

I emailed Kimber and received this response:

Thank you for your email. The Kimber production facility is order driven. Limited production capacity exists, and pistols of various types are scheduled in “runs” to meet existing orders. There is no set number of pistols per type that would constitute a “run”, but rather, production scheduling is done to best utilize windows of available equipment and manpower.

Orders received in this office are input to the factory the same day. When the factory receives sufficient orders, and can match that number to a production window, a run is made. That has not occurred since your order was originally submitted, and we cannot accurately predict when that will happen. When it does, your pistol will be shipped immediately. It should arrive shortly, and I would have your dealer contact his sales representative to ask about delivery time.

If you have any further questions/concerns please let me know and I will be glad to help you.

Thank you and best regards,

Carl Flesch

Technical Representative

Am I being unreasonable to request a refund?

Thanks for your input.

PeterGunn

You have to ask???

Were this an Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, Rock River that kind of wait would certainly be justifed. For a Kimber... I don't think so. Were I in your shoes, I would be getting my moolah back and taking it down the road.

There are plenty of Kimbers on store owner shelves that you could easily choose from, but for that money you could pick up any S&W 1911 model and spend the remainder on ammo, holster, and other accessories and probably be better off.

Good Luck and be blessed,

Cmu_Sniper

I would wait for the Kimber. Kimber is a fine weapon worthy of the wait. However, I would not wait that long for the other junk weapons as stated above.

pipoman

I tend to view this like PeterGunn. I don't doubt the Kimber is a good pistol. Mr.Flesch said in a telephone conversation that the CDP is a custom shop gun. I tend to feel given the production numbers it is a production gun which requires some additional steps in the manufacturing process for which Kimber is paid well.

I have never ordered a gun prior to this. I have always shopped and found a gun to buy. I studied my options and the CDP is where I lit. I couldn't find one in the Pro size so I ordered this one. I didn't know if this is par for the coarse with gun manufacturers, if this kind of wait is to be expected.

I have heard a lot of good things about S&W 1911s, I will not give Smith my "vote" by buying a new one. IMO, they are too politically correct.

I am between a Colt Commander or Springfield Champion with a few custom features.

PeterGunn

I would wait for the Kimber. Kimber is a fine weapon worthy of the wait. However, I would not wait that long for the other junk weapons as stated above.

OK... let me get this right... A production model Kimber with some minor mods and improvements is a superior to a handcrafted 1911 from Brown, Baer, Rock River, and Wilson in your mind/experience/universe???

If so... God bless you and the horse/spaceship you rode in on.

I have heard a lot of good things about S&W 1911s, I will not give Smith my "vote" by buying a new one. IMO, they are too politically correct.

I am between a Colt Commander or Springfield Champion with a few custom features.

I too went on a hiatus from S&W during the Clinton years, but the PC garbage is long past. In my opinion (and others on this very forum), the SW1911 is probably one of the best out of the box higher end 1911s available.

For me, the SW1911 is slightly superior to the SA and happens to be made in the USA (as far as I know) and carries one of the best warranties in the business. However, either one of your desired pistolas would serve you well.

Blessings,

18DAI

I would disagree that the political BS is over with S&W (witness Internal locks on their revolvers). However I agree with Mr. Gunn that the S&W 1911 is superior. I have both. Regards 18DAI.