another "if you could only choose..." topic

idek

I know topics about choosing X amount of guns or having to choose one gun for a specific purpose get done a lot. Some people enjoy hypothesizing about such things, some people don't see any point in imagining settling for anything less than the 50 guns they have. But getting to the point...

I first saw this article by Massad Ayoob in the printed Backwoods Home magazine several years ago, and I still reread it online every so often.

For those who choose not to read the whole thing, I'll try to sum it up. Ayoob addresses building a "four-gun battery." It's addressed primarily to people who live away from the cities. People with rural acreage, livestock, fields, and vegetable gardens. People who encounter bears or poisonous snakes that may do them harm, and other critters that may harm pets, property, and crops.

The four gun types he recommends are...

1) .22lr (rifle or handgun): Used for taking small game and dealing with smaller pests in the yard and garden.

2) shotgun: Used for birds, small game, and larger game hunting (within modest ranges) and for use against larger 4 and 2 legged threats. He recommends 12 or 20 gauges for versatility (bird, buck, slugs)

3) centerfire rifle: used as main medium/big game getter. Also for longer range varmint control and possibly bear medicine. He seems to be thinking more in terms of traditional hunting guns than "black" guns.

4) centerfire handgun: the constant sidearm used for defense again snakes, rogue livestock, and other threats. He mentions using a .357 or .45 himself.

To the best of my knowledge, grizzly/brown bear and poisonous snake habitats don't overlap much, so all the scenarios he mentions probably wouldn't apply to any one person, but regardless, I'm curious which four guns people would choose—either according to the criteria he describes or according to you own current situation... or both.

*the article is geared toward economical guns... if you want to go with economical, fine. If not, fine.

Last edited:

KMAX

Can't argue with Hawg's list. I am less specific about which make of 12guage and might substitute a 30-30 lever and a 357mag for the 30-06 and 1911. Note I said might. It would depend on locale.

RBid

My biggest gripe with these conversations isn't that they are pointless. They're fun, so I could care less if they're largely irrelevant. Instead, my gripe is that they typically involve designating a specific tool for a specific, often spontaneous task. In order to have the tool for the task, advance knowledge must be present. That works with big game hunting, not so much with defense against snakes or bears.

What I always find myself asking is, "what can I carry every day to be ready for anything?"

If I lived in a wild area, I think I'd be carrying a Glock 22 (Gen 4, with the beaver tail backstraps!) on my hip, probably full of FMJ for dealing with 4 legged critters. Over my shoulder? Hmmmm... A lever action 30-30 would probably be one of my first choices. Rugged, reliable, hard hitting, fast.

To round out my 4 firearm battery, I'll take a second copy of each.

MattShlock

Thanks for posting the link -- I am going to go read that article. Ayoob is someone to pay attention to.

An accurate enough and reliable .22 LR like a Ruger 77/22 or 10/22, OK.
A Mossberg 500 12 ga. pump Field/Security Set.
A Springfield 7.62x51 M1A.
Have to be a .357 Mag. (a 5" 7-shot stainless would be pretty ideal).

Dwight55

Marlin semi auto .22 w/scope.

Beretta semi auto 12 gauge, 7 shot, w/rifle sights.

AR15 or M1A, . . . depending on circumstances, . . . nod goes to the M1A if it is hands down blind choice.

Commander size 1911.

May God bless,
Dwight

ripnbst

Ruger 10/22 w/ true 1-3x or 1-4x optic.
Winchester SX3 semi-auto 12GA
Springfield NM M1A iron sights or Rem 700 ADL in .308 WIN w/ Zeiss 4-12 optic.
Nighthawk GRP 1911 .45 ACP.

TXAZ

Lots of good choices.

1) 10/22 - still fun to shoot decades later
2) My Browning Auto-5 semi 12 GA
3) RRA Socom .458
4) Sig P229 w/ high capacity magazines

SHE3PDOG

Well, I don't actually own a shotgun, and my M&P 22 probably isn't the ideal 22 for the situation described. If I could choose whatever I wanted though, my list would look something like this:

Ruger 10/22 (pretty versatile for a 22)

FN SLP (good enough for hunting and HD/SD)

Any of my milsurp would make me happy here. If ammo were a non-issue, I'd go with my FN 49 chambered in 8mm. I fell in love with how it shoots when I first shot it, and it being semi auto is nice too.

Glock 20sf (see 10mm :rolleyes:)

cslinger

CZ 452 (Scoped and Iron Sights)
Remington 870 with both longer and shorter barrel lengths
M1A with 5 round and 20 round magazines
Ruger GP100 or a Glock 17192120etc.etc.etc.

I think you could do damn near anything with the above. All should be extremely robust/low maintenance. All have iron sighs. All have multiple uses from the different barrels in the 870 to the 5 round mags for hunting with the M1A. The GP100 can be loaded from mild to wild with everything from snake shot .38 to cruise missile deer killers.

dakota.potts

I only own the pistol so far.

That said, out of reasonable choices, I think I'd have to say

CZ 452
CZ 720 reduced length or a Remington 1100
CZ 75 BD ( the one I do have). I've never had to shoot a snake (despite living in small towns my whole life) so I don't know if a 9mm would effectively do that, but I have to imagine it would.
SCAR in .308

A scoped .22, semi auto shotgun, centerfire handgun, and centerfire rifle capable of hunting but also allows for faster follow ups for defense against possible humans or bears if I had to worry about that.

8MM Mauser

Ruger MKI/II/III with heavy barrel at least 6 inch

Mossberg 500

Any milsurp Mauser/Nagant/Enfield/Springfield

Glock 19

I decided to keep my list under $2000 as well. If the sky is the limit on price that changes thing considerably. Incidentally, if I purchased a G19 I would fulfill this list :)

Last edited:

Tucker 1371

.22 Chipmunk (my 1st rifle)

Mossberg 590A1 (would like to swap the 20" bbl out for a longer one with a choke for hunting)

Springfield M1A Scout

Colt 1911

I decided to use guns I already had, otherwise I probably would have chosen a more hunter friendly shotgun and probably a CZ .22 bolt action.

Panfisher

I have often played a variation of the game. By starting the same "If I could only have of each. Centerfire Rifle, Shotgun, rimfire, and handgun. what would they be. Then change it to two of each then three and finally 4 of each category. Its interesting to look at your lists and see how you changed when you could have more than one of each.

1) 1911
2) 1903 Springfield 30-06
3) Model 12 Winchester 12ga.
4) Model 67 Winchester .22

Realistically I would go with any good quality .22 rifle and I would be willing to substitute my M28 Smith or Colt Three fifty Seven for the 1911.

Skans

For .22 rifle - any old .22 will do
Shotgun: Beretta Gold Pigeon 12 gauge - not especially economical (although in the world of shotguns, its all relative), but fun to shoot and nice to look at.
Centerfire Rifle: Savage 110 30-06 or Remington 700 30-06
Handgun for rural purposes - Witness Hunter 10mm

mavracer

I can come up with more combinations that'll work for me than different combinations of pizza toppings. lol

one example
Marlin 39A
Winchester Model 12
Marlin 336 in 35 rem
Colt XSE Commander in 38 Super