Another "Help me pick my first gun" thread

tBlake08

Help! I had a hi-point semi for a while and liked it, but dropped it for a good price and am now wanting to get into a little revolver shooting. I don't mind used, because I need a good price. I'm thinking .357 so I can start out shooting .38s then go to .357. I've also considered taurus, but don't have my heart set on anything in particular.

18DAI

Try some guns at the local range. See what fits you ,and fits your needs for it. S&W, Ruger, Taurus all make revolvers. There are alot of different revolvers to look at though. Do you want to CCW? Is it just for range plinking, or home defense as well? I like pre lock S&W's ,either the Model 19 or 66. Ruger GP100 I hear alot of good about as well. Good luck with your search. Regards 18DAI.

tBlake08

I don't plan to cc it. It'll be for targets and possibly a side when I go coyote hunting. (oh yeah, and home defense).

Pezo

Get a 4" ruger gp100. for an all purpose shooter. You may also like the fixed sighted 3" version as well. it is slightly smaller and has smaller easier to fit in the hands grips.

lil_bro

tBlake08 said:
Whats the price I'm lookin at?

I say go with the Ruger.:D

As for prices.

In my area the Ruger GP-100 is about $400.00 for the blued 6in barrel version.
The blued 6 in barrel Taurus is about $330.00.I am not sure about the S&W you will have too call a dealer(s).

Michael.

gmoney

If you are looking for an inexpensive .357 revolver, but is still a quality gun, then maybe you should try a Rossi .357. You will be able to pick one of them up less than a Ruger, Smith & Wesson and so on......
Do some research on them...

skeeter1

A new Smith .357 is going to run you somewhere between $600-$1000. I doubt that they'll go down in value, but if you're just looking for a "shooter", I'd suggest you look closely at a Ruger, Taurus, or Rossi. They probably won't appreciate, but they're all decent guns.

antediluvianist

A used Smith, 66 or 686 or similar. They are around for less than $400. Not much price difference from a brand new Taurus, but you'll be happier and it will keep its value pretty well.

Benonymous

+1 on the 686

I'd look around for a S/H S&W 686. For target shooting i recommend the 6" barrel. I think the quality of the piece speaks for itself.:D

RsqVet

New or used ruger, or used Smith, shop the shops and see what you find as they are common as dirt, what you pick up is unlikey to lose value provided you do not abuse it and it will likely out last you if you want to hold on to it for life.

JJB2

my first handgun was a smith&wesson model 13 .357 mag so i think you have a good idea there with the .357 .38 spl. thing.... i traded my 13 for a model 27 about 10 years ago used but like new in box......