another H&R hammerless breaktop

heyjoe

32 magnum do you have any idea of what time period this hammerless breaktop might have been made? there are no patent dates on it.

Attachments

• H&R.jpg
    H&R.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 96

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
Heyjoe,
It is a 2nd Model SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS "BICYCLE" model. There should be a stamp on the top strap with Manufacturer's name and address only.
These are difficult to date without a detailed exam for minor differences. However, the 2nd model itself was in production from 1905 to 1941. With that type of frame, it was made before circa 1925. If you give me the serial number, I can attempt to give a better idea of era, however the serial numbers for this model are all mixed up in some cases.

IMG_2083.jpg

heyjoe

the serial number is 266729
on the top strap is stamped

H&R Arms Co.
Worcester,Mass.USA.

thank you for your help. i appreciate it.

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
Heyjoe,
Your SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS "BICYCLE" was made between 1916 and 1924 and is similar to the 6th Variation of the standard model. With the s/n that high in the range - year of manufacture is most likely late in the period, 1923 or so.
Here's a pic of a couple "BICYCLE" hammerless pieces:

IMG_2089_3.jpg

Last edited:

heyjoe

very nice pieces, thank you for the information. i really like the hammerless bicycle. it caught my eye in a gun store because of its small size.

Opinated

My confusion. I though the post was stating that the revolver is 32 Magnum caliber. I now see that another person uses that for an identity.

Last edited:

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
heyjoe,
Thanks for thanking - and you're welcome.
The BICYLCLE model name, was also used in the short barrel PREMIER series, in that case with an exposed hammer and the 2" barrel.
Just for the hell of it, here's a couple pic:

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2014_2.jpg

test drive

32 Magnum, i allso have a old H&R hammerless .32 bicycle mod. ser number is 106580 located on bottom of frame grip and 206530 under the top strap. any idea when it was made? the nickle finish is pretty worn but lock up is tight and gets a few rounds through it now and then. thanks.

Last edited:

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
test drive,
The serial numbers on the grip frame and under the top strap should match (unless the gun was rebuilt from two separate guns). I'll bet if you wiped the numbers down and cleaned them off a bit - then using a "cheater" (magnifying glass) you'll find that they are the same number. The digits are too close to each other in conformation to be from different guns. Let me know what you find - I've seen dozens of H&R hinged frames where firing gunk/residue has built up under the top strap to the point where the serial number is very difficult to, in some cases, even see, let alone read correctly - I'm willing to bet that the number on the grip frame, which is generally protected by the grip panels, is the correct number. Use a cheater to confirm.
Also, is there a "cartridge" stamp on the left side of the barrel? - it would be either .32 S&W CTG (5 shot) or .22 RIM FIRE (7 shot). Either serial number you posted will, most likely, make your piece a 2nd Model Smokeless powder made in or after 1905 and the presence of that stamping will be definitive.