Another Gun Show Gripe Thread? NOT TODAY!

Here we go! More and more new and rekindled interest in firearms this past couple of years have made quite the spectacle at gun shows. We've had scores of posts here griping about the crowds, high prices, scarce "deals", and just plain grumpy sales people. I'll admit: I'm one of those that have posted a gripe or two about gun shows in the past...

My fellow gunowners, firearms enthusiasts, and supporters of the 2nd Amendment.....NOT TODAY! I wanted to start a thread on GOOD experiences at gun shows.

For the past week, my wife has been dropping hints left and right about the upcoming show. I finally gave in. I warned her that it's going to be quite a bit different than the good ole days. I figured it would be worth it for her to experience the disappointments I've had recently. Then she'd understand why I've been coming home empty handed and a bit bummed...

NOT TODAY! We hit the jackpot in everyday stuff. No, we didn't find a Springfield 1903 in pristine condition for $250 or anything like that. Yes, it was VERY crowded. But it was worth it. Came across some ammo cans that were in really nice condition inside and out for $4, $5, and $10 each. They were flying off the tables faster than .45ACP ammo for $10 would. My wife scored big on a Springfield XD(M) NIB for a really low price. She jumped on that like a pack of dogs on a three legged cat! We were waiting to buy one chambered in .357Sig if was going to come out, but couldn't pass up on the deal and immediate availability.

Prices are high on stuff everywhere you go. It was actually a relief to see it was the same at the gunshow isntead of being jacked up. Primers weren't awful for gunshow prices: About $32 for Winchester and CCI. Going rate for ARs were $950-$1350 depending on brand. If you wanted a "decent" knife to use/abuse without breaking the bank, you could walk out of there with a couple for $20 or so. One gun that almost gave me a heart attack was a Henry rifle made in 1864 for the paltry sum of $32,000. Nope, not too many zeros....and that's a comma.

So, how about telling us what actual good deal(s) you found at a gun show? No full blown gripes, please. Let's keep it on the positive note for the most part...

RedneckFur

Last December, at a gun show I found a New in box Marlin 788 in .22mag. Its a tube fed rifle with a walnut stock. Beautiful fit and finish, not like the Marlins you find today. I walked out the door with it for $120.00. Moments before I had sold a crappy stainless Marlin 922 in .22 mag that didnt shoot well for $190.00 I considered that a good buy.

Wildalaska

Last gun show I went to in Alaska, I got one of the coldest cans of Coke I ever had. Yummy.

Up here the gun shows are designedfor the uneducated and unitiated to be fleeced by the unethical.:D

WildimhatedatthegunshowsasyoucanevidentlyunderstandAlaska TM

noelf2

There was a gun show in Fredericksburg VA this weekend. I've noticed this time that it wasn't crowded, and the prices for most things (except handguns and collectible rifles) were lower than the price gouging normal. I think I got a good deal on a Traditions Flintlock Deerhunter ($125), Win. Sm pistol primers ($26/box of 1k), and another mag for my P3AT ($20). Not great, but not as bad as usual. I had just about given up on gun shows unless I was looking for some tools or ammo boxes. I was also able to pick up and handle a Webley Fosbury automatic revolver (what a clunky piece of history, so cool). I looked in my wallet, but I didn't have the $38K he wanted for it. Damn.

Point is, it might be time to take a look at the shows in your area again. Nevermind what the dealers say.

orionengnr

Yesterday I bought three boxes of lead, 500 rounds each. Two of 200gr SWC for 45acp, one 225 gr RNL for 45LC. Marked at $35 each, which would have been good enough, but since I bought three, he gave me $5 off each. :)
$30 for 500 rounds of lead is about $12 off what I normally pay. Also got a 50-cal; ammo can to carry them out wth for $5--same dealer.

Jim March

Had a "good" but not "great" deal a couple of months ago.

Came across a dealer of both new and used goods who had a new Cimarron model called the "Plinkerton" in stock. It's a .22LR made to the same size/heft specs as a Colt SAA. It's obviously not the same quality for a list price of about $200, but it turned out to shoot quite well and I'm glad I scored it. I was able to do a straight-up trade for my 38Spl Charter Undercover, which was a good gun. I had already managed to come up with a good 24/7 carry method for my large-frame 357 (Ruger New Vaquero) and the Plinkerton has proven to be a perfect training gun for the Ruger.

The Plinkerton is getting good reviews for what it is, and is a credit to Armi Chiappa's ability to make a good working gun on a tight budget. They're the newest of the Italian makers and this is apparently their first handgun. Their rifles, esp. their version of the '92 Winchester, are getting good reviews too.

On my budget, practicing in .22LR is a necessity and having a matched set of carry gun and trainer gun based on the same platform is a really nice thing.

The gun show let me find a dealer who handles both new and used goods. He'll probably get about $250 for the Charter if he's lucky, so we both ended up in good shape.

540mope

congrats!!!, and yes, good deals can still be had at gun shows.
i have to brag about a recent gun show find...a mint condition 4" S&W 66-4 that was traded in, got it for $350. bought it within 10 minutes of the doors opening...i'm really surprised another dealer didn't snatch it up and slap a $500 tag on it

Gbro

Picked up a nice clean H S Sport King 2nd Mdl. w/adjustable rear sight 300.00 OTD
Came with a Stainless Steel magazine. I already have a blued one that had no pistol to live in, so this was a very needed buy;)
Anyone tell me anything about the SS magazines? It is stamped High Standard just like the blued one I bought off e-bay that was described as a mag for the HD Military.
Thanks
No primers other than the usual odds & ends. But I was 6 hours late.

Tom2

There, you made my case! Now I can count the people who found good deals at gunshows, on two hands with fingers left over! :)

JohnRaven

Some might not consider it a good deal, but....

I picked up a early 1970's Marlin 60 .22 for $85 OTD from a private seller... I cleaned it up and it shoots great! Zero problems! :D

orionengnr

S&W M-25-2, 45 acp blued revolver. Nice bluing, very little wear. Original 6" barrel was professionally shortened to 3". Missing the red ramp from the front sight. Pachmayr grips (original grips long gone :().
$475
Yes, I grabbed it. Shoots great. :)

hivel37

My most recent gun show find was a Ruger 1B in 22-250 for $650. Not a steal but a price I was willing to pay.

paratrooper

Most dealers consider Kingman AZ a "poor" town . They buy a lot here from folks that need a buck or inherited guns that they do not know the value of . The upside is that they bring many unusual and interesting things that local gun stores do not stock due to space . With the influx of retirees "with a buck" this scenario might change .We now have 4 store front gun stores and a few "kitchen table" FFL's .