Another gun in need of a holster? or just old age?

2damnold4this

I think older folks can carry guns just as safely as young folks. Maybe even safer. I wonder what kind of gun it was that it discharged after falling from his pocket.

JerryM

In the class my friend teaches I have often conducted a short session on CC holsters and the choices. In most cases the students are only mildly interested. They just want a license so that they can carry if they desire, and in their car. Car carry does not require a license.

I think that most students are thinking more of a nylon cheapie. That would be better than sticking it in the waistband and dropping it.
For many students the thought of the cost of a quality holster and belt is shocking.

Jerry

Stressfire

I suppose at least he wasn't attempting Mexican carry like the last guy that was discussed.

Are we just hearing about these stories more now, or has there been a rash of these a/d - n/d, whatever you want to call them?

insolentshrew

Fell from his pocket, so my guess is no holster or a very bad pocket holster. Reminds me of my fiance's grandfather, he has a .22 derringer that he "just sticks in his pocket when he goes in to town". Wouldn't surprise me if it was something simple like that, fell on the hammer and discharged.

I don't care who or what you carry, it needs some sort of holster to cover the trigger and help keep the gun in place. They aren't just for cops and wild west movie stars, they serve a purpose.

farmerboy

if this did really happen. still should have never discharged. and second that a holster should have been used. atleast he chooses to be armed....

45Gunner

Early on when I first began to carry a concealed weapon, I bought a shoulder holster at a gun show. Keep in mind I am not bashing gun shows or vendors that sell holsters, it is just that I bought something that sort of fit my gun. Entirely my fault for not knowing better but no one in the 16 hours of required instruction I took spent any time on carry methods or the necessity for having a good holster.

As in this story, I was going into a grocery store. I got out of my car and my new HK fell out of the holster, hitting the ground. It did not fire...lucky me. But it did put a scratch on my brand new gun.

The lesson I learned is once one decides on what method they are going to carry, make sure the holster is a good fit and made specifically for the model gun that you put in it.

And...further, with each student I endorse as having taught a Firearms Home Safety and Basic Pistol Course, I spend some time discussing holsters and the importance of protecting the gun, the trigger, and most of all, one's legs, family jewels, or what have you.

T. O'Heir

No mention of what the guy had. Most likely a revolver that landed on the hammer over a live chamber. However, it does go towards not carrying in a pocket.
"...a nylon cheapie..." It ain't about how much a holster costs. It's about how well it holds the firearm. Uncle Mike's makes good, inexpensive, ballistic nylon holsters that work well.

kraigwy

Cops screw up too.

We had two officers who were at the bank negotiating a loan for a Side Business Adventure.

While talking to the loan officer one drops his gun. (no discharge, just a "clunk". Embarrassed, the owner of the gun takes his foot and slides it under the chair of the other cop. He slides it back, it goes back and forth, neither wanting to claim the gun.

The lady loan officer finely says "pick the damn thing up and put it away so we can get through this".

The loan officer ratted them out to other officers who used her bank, there is nothing more cruel then peer harassment among cops when one of them screws up.

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
Carry of a firearm is a total package.
Knowledge + mindset + skills combined with equipment.
Take shortcuts for any reason, in any area and the likelihood of a mishap increases.