Another GLOCK thread...

Silvanus

There are a lot of GLOCK threads lately ("lately";) ) , but I really need your advise.
I haven't had much time to take my new Glock to the range yet, but I shot about 300 rounds so far. At the beginning I thought I'd have to familiarize myself with it, but accuracy is still non-existent.
Out of the box it always pulled to the left. Now I moved the rear sight as much to the right as possible and I still hit the target (WHEN I actually hit the target) on the left when I aim at the center.

Is there something I can do about it or is something wrong with the gun?

btw, groups are not bad, but not "where" I want them to be:(

Ozzieman

I picked up my wife a 26 and its shoots point of aim from the factory

Her 26 hits about 2 inches low when held at the low end of a black 4 inch circle target at 7 yards and groups about 4 inches.
Several things to try, shoot with your weak If you are shooting with your right you might be pushing left.
Also change your grip and try a little less or more finger on the trigger.
I would suggest you contact the factory or take it back to the shop you purchased it at.
Altho I have had no contact with Glock here in the US I have heard that they are very good to work with.
Question, How far away are you shooting and how far off point of aim is it hitting. Also has any one else shot the gun? That just makes sure its not you.
And last how big is your grouping.

Rivers

Go to glocktalk.com and do a search for "newbie" and "low and left." Center your rear sight and learn how the Glock trigger works. There's a chart that shows what you're doing wrong. It's easy to find on Glocktalk.

stardate

My 26 was also shooting low and left. Shot hundreds of rounds, (never did move the sight. One day I shot it single handed, it put most of the rounds dead center. I figure its me not the gun.

blackmind

That needed to be said. :rolleyes:

I am thinking that between the combination of the reputed reliability of GLOCKs, plus the poster's (inferred) newness to shooting and admitted lack of skill, plus the knowledge that certain shooting habits can result in low/left groups as a rule, I would venture that the gun is fine, but the shooter's technique is what needs work.

Probably what's needed is a lesson from an NRA certified shooting instructor.

-blackmind

HappyGunner

I know the problem

After shooting my 1911s and then shooting my Glock23. I also get a group to the left. It's because of the heavy trigger on stock Glocks and it takes lots of practice in pulling the trigger of a Glock to get your shots on target. You are not alone with this problem.;)

aspen1964

..from What Other Threaders Have Said, I Thought The Glock Was A Gun Anyone Could Pull Out Of A Box And Just Shoot Flawlessly And Accurately With No Quirks To Worry About!!!!!!! My 45 Gov't Is Over Here In The Corner Grinning About This Now!

marshallartist

First of all recenter your sights. It's very unlikely to be a problem with the gun. Odds are your using too much finger or your tightening your grip as you squeeze the trigger. Try doing a little dry fire practice and experiment with how much finger you give it. Try to minimize the movement of the gun and do this as often as practical. I think you'll find that the Glock only needs slightly more finger than a 1911. If you can dry fire practice regularly you'll probably be able to shoot it almost as well as a single action auto.

Ozzieman

One other thing to try

With your weak hand if your placing your index finger on the front of the trigger guard you might be pulling. Quit doing that.
Its funny that if some one says there haveing trouble with a Glock the Glock haters climb up on there band wagon and curse the tupperware.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Some questions.

What experience do you have with handguns?

What sort of group sizes are you getting at 5 meters, 10 meters and 15 meters?

What model of Glock do you own, and what ammunition are you using?

Would it be possible to shoot the pistol from a rested or supported position, or to have another shooter test the pistol?

Silvanus

What experience do you have with handguns?
Not very much, BUT I shoot decent with a friend's 6" Taurus and 1911.
What sort of group sizes are you getting at 5 meters, 10 meters and 15 meters?
At 15 meters it's about 7-10 centimeters.
What model of Glock do you own, and what ammunition are you using?
I didnt write it because its in the signature, Glock 17. I used Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi FMJs.
Would it be possible to shoot the pistol from a rested or supported position, or to have another shooter test the pistol?
I didnt shoot from a supported position yet, but let a friend of mine shoot it. He had the same problem.
But the only other 9mm he ever shot is the Browning GP he uses in the army, so I think he hasn't got much experience with different pistols either.

Thx for all the information, I'll try everything out what you told me and hopefully it will work:)

SR420

The G17 is a very accurate low recoil pistol.
I wish I never sold mine.

Work on your grip and trigger control.
Try some high quality ammo.

Good luck ~

JohnKSa

Administrator
Given that your group sizes are reasonable for the distance, I can't think of anything more to suggest other than shooting from a rest/supported position.

If the groups are still not close to point of aim, it's time to call the manufacturer.

choochboost

I used to have the same problem shooting Glocks. I overcame it by dry-firing, correcting my grip and focusing on smooth trigger pulls. I'll share what I learned and maybe it will help you. As you pull the trigger you might be clenching the rest of the fingers around the grip. This is often done subconsciously and messes up your shots bad. Too much strong hand. You could also be anticipating the recoil, also subconsciously. Get some snap-caps and load them randomly into your magazine, as you pull the trigger on the snap-cap, you might notice your front sight take dive and/or turn to the left. With the strong hand focus on a smooth trigger pull, and with the support hand focus on holding the gun. This might sound strange and might even feel awkward for you at first but as you work on this, as well as continue to dryfire and use snap-caps randomly during live-fire you'll find your rounds hitting where you want them to. That's what worked for me. It took only two range sessions and I was shooting much more consistently - no more down and to the left. Now I shoot bulls consistently.

stratus

nobanforme said:
Blah to all Glocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could not give me one!!!!!!!!!

Right, and you wouldn't pocket a $100 bill if you saw it on the street, either. :rolleyes:

shepsan

Silvanus, let us assume that the Glock pistol is not at fault and that the problem is a result of poor shooter technique. Return the sight to its original position. Then, take the time to do some concentrated dry-fire practices from which you might develop good technique.

The important facets of good techique are:

good-grip . . . not a vice-like death grip but a light yet firm hold of the pistol.

breath-control . . . normal breathing without sharp intake or burst exhaleration.

feather-like squeeze of the trigger.

Add to this equation that for proper trigger control the Glock design requries that after squeezing off the first round, hold the trigger in its farthest backward position and then release it gently until if moves slightly forward. You will hear a click and feel a reset. Then realign on target and squeeze again.

This later action is vastly different then the technique used for 1911 trigger control.

Let us know how you do.

Regards