Another Flashlight Fire. ("Bargain" CR123 Lithiums Again)

Manedwolf

China is going to burn up our stuff with defective batteries and make our kids stupid with lead paint, I swear...

RussB

A while back I bought some "universal" branded el-cheapo CR123's at a gun show

They get extremey hot in use, and don't last worth a darn, The also dump all their voltage quickly. The light never fades out, it just stops altogether.

never again :mad:

mbott

... The light never fades out, it just stops altogether.
Unlike flashlights powered by alkaline batteries that dim as the batteries lose power, a lithium battery pretty much dies like this.

--
Mike

sholling

Unlike flashlights powered by alkaline batteries that dim as the batteries lose power, a lithium battery pretty much dies like this.
I think that the regulating circuit found in most good LED (Cree based) flashlights has something to do with the all or near nothing output. The regulation circuit maintain a constant output level until the battery flat dies.

Lots of great information here.

VUPDblue

That's one thing I like about my HID flashlight. It either has the power to form the arc, or it doesn't. OTOH, you have no warning that it is about to die...

skeeter1

"That's one thing I like about my HID flashlight."

Yeah, I've looked at HID flashlights. They're the same price as a decent handgun. Thanks, but I think I'll stick with my LED flashlights for now.