Another Enfield Question

I recently purchased a MK 4, No. 1 Enfield and have been reading everything I can find on the subject. I have read several times about being able to easily adjust the headspace by simply changing the bolt head. I have also read about being able to sight in the rifle using various height front sights. Where might one obtain these parts ? Any further information would be appreciated; good web sites, dealers etc.

Mk VII

I have a WORD97 document which I retyped from the manual showing the zeroing procedures which I can send if required. Basically the sight elements go up in 15 thou increments making a difference of 2 inches at 100 yds. If you have the split-block sight base you need the solid elements, or if the solid block then you need the elements with the saw cut in their base. Springfield Sporters or GPC will be able to supply a sight element but they may not discriminate between the various heights. A request on the gunandknife Lee-Enfield Forum may yield a more discriminating supplier.

T-Rex

I don't know if it's the same as my no1 mk3, but my bolt head is threaded onto the bolt. You could unscrew it a turn, and change the bolt's length. I'd be carefull though.

Question:
Has anyone bought one of the "Tanker" Enfields from Navy Arms? They shorten the stocks by cutting out a piece from the middle, and putting the joint under the barrel band. Mine came apart last night while I was shooting it. The bayonet mount, front sight shroud, and the front of the forearm hit the ground. Anybody else have something like this happen? I'm hoping a liberal dose of Epoxyfor the dowell rod, and screw tightening for the bands have solved the problem. I guess I'll find out next time I shoot it. .

Mk VII

somebody else has indeed reported the same thing happening so it's not a unique problem. I remember reading about it a few months back. Some rather rude things were said about the quality of these conversions.

Will Kwan

You are correct the head space can be adjusted by changing the bolt head on a No.4 rifle. Bolt heads are numbered 0-3. New guns usually start with a 0 or 1. The head space is decreased with increasing bolt head number. I can't remember for sure but I think the bolt head is lengthened by 0.003 with each number increment. To change the head space simply unscrew the bolt head, install peripherals to the new bolt head and install.

The front sight is changed for to correct for elevation as Mk VII describes it.

The Parker Hale 5C or Parker sight is a neat accessory you can get for the No.4 rifle. You get click windage and elevation adjustments and multiple apetures.

Will

Thanks for the info. I have read the zeroing proceedures on several web pages, but obviously you can't do it without having the front sights to change your elevation. I can also see that in order to use the sights as they were intended, you are going to have to shoot a load duplicating the military load that the sights were designed for. In reality, I don't know if I need to change anything. I have taken my rifle out twice and fired a total of 100 rounds through it. I didn't do any "formal" bench shooting. Just some field shooting to get an idea of what I had. The bore is kinda rough in spots, but I think it will be fun

erfan35

where is a good place to buy a very good condition Enfield No.4 Mark 2? I want shiny bore and good wood and excellent parkerizing and blueing.

Thanks