Another Beretta92/M-9 question...

Adventurer_96

I'm going to buy a new toy in a month or two and I've decided to buy as close to a Beretta M-9 as I possibly can. Here's my list of questions for the group:

1: Am I being too narrowminded focusing on the M-9? I'm in the military and I figure practice with what you might use at work. I like all the big-picture features of the pistol (9mm, hi-cap, capable, reliable, etc.) but I want to see if a 92FS is "close enough."

2. If I buy a new Beretta could old hi-cap mags be used with it?

3. I've read some of the other posts on the topic, but any other input would be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm still a month or two away but I want to do some research.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

DarkStar

I'm sure someone will correct me, but other than the civilian 92 has a nicer finish and seemed smoother overall, I've not seen any difference between an M-9 and a 92.

All M-9/92's take the same magazines be they choked 10-rounders or standard capacity. Standards are still easy to pick up. http://www.cdnninvestments.com has a supply right now for $30 per mag.

I don't think you're being narrowminded regarding an M-9/92, it's a very well built and engineered piece that IMO always comes out on top in any comparison of quality and performance.

Darryl

Russell92

the 92FS is a great weapon. the only real difference between a 92FS and an M9 is the sights. a 92FS has 3 dot sights but the M9 has something like 2 dot sights positioned vertically (rear sight dot is at the bottom of the notch). besides for that they're the same gun.

the 92FS and M9 accept the same magazines. they will both work with 10rd, post-ban 15rd, or pre-ban 15rd mags. pre-ban 15rd mags are still quite cheap for the 92FS.

if you can find it you can also buy a M9 special edition. this is a limited edition set beretta made that comes with an M9, 1 pre-ban 15rd mag, bianchi mililtary flap holster, military double mag pouch, military issue belt and some other stuff. it costs more than the 92FS and its up to you if you think its worth it or not.

Adventurer_96

Military sidearm

Being an Air Force pilot, the M-9 has become my "official" sidearm. I tend to be of the mindset that the pistol issued to pilots is really a psychological tool rather than a real survival tool, but you never know!

The other posts have been informative as well, and I'm pretty sure that this is the pistol which I'll purchase in the near future. I understand that hicap mags will work mechanically in the gun, but can they work legally? (wink wink nudge nudge)

Thanks for your help all.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

Russell92

while in the Military you can use any type of 15rd full-cap mags in your M9. some of them may say "LE/Military use only" on them. those are post-ban mags. when you get out of the military those are the mags that are illegal to use. any mags that don't have this stamp on them are pre-ban and legal to use as a civilian. you can buy 15rd mags that are made before September 1994 and they are completely legal. one of the many great things about the 92FS is 15rd mags are nearly as cheap as 10rd mags for it.