Another bear handgun question-sorry

Elkins45

This is the third thread of mine related to a bear defense handgun, and hopefully it will be my last. Here it is:

Which would you choose as a bear defense handgun- a six shot 44 magnum revolver or a 16 shot 10mm auto? I'm presuming the 44 magnum would be loaded with a 240 grain hard cast SWC at 1400fps and the 10mm would be loaded with a 200 grain hard cast SWC at 1200fps.

Each round of 10mm carries 639 ft/lb of energy for a total deliverable KE of 10,224 ft/lb on target.

Each 44 magnum round delivers 1044 ft/lb of energy for a total deliverable KE of 6264 ft/lb on target.

Does the greater total energy, higher round count and improved controllability of the 10mm give it an advantage, or would you choose the 44 magnum?

Scorch

Kinetic energy is not cumulative, otherwise you could carry a Calico 22LR (100 rounds of 22LR should total about 5,000 ft-lbs, right?). If you are so intent on carrying a firearm to defend yourself against bears, carry a 12 ga with slugs and a large can of pepper spray. Remember, even the wimpiest big game rifle has more energy than the most powerful handgun (if you doubt this, look at the ballistics chart for .30-30 Win and .500 S&W).

Buzzcook

Elkins45, I've been hunting and camping for many many years. Most of that in places where bear live. The only time I've seen bear was in Yellowstone where the tourists still feed them.

Get a Boy Scout handbook and practice good camp discipline. Get food away from your tent, either in a vehicle or hanging from a tree. Stay away from food sources that bears frequent. That can be garbage dumps or berry patches in season.
Get a big can of bear spray. It's cheaper than a box on .44 ammo. Learn to use it and carry it when you're in bear country.

If you want to carry a gun, pick the one you like to shoot most. If you happen to kill a bear with it, you better be able to prove to the Fish and Wildlife department that you had to.

Daryl

You're chances are higher of getting attacked by a human than a by a bear.

Wal-Mart! That's where the danger lies. :)

If you're in Alaska, Montana, or Idaho, choose the .44 mag. If it's only black bears you're worried about, pick either one. They'll both serve you well as a SD firearm for most purposes.

Alaska444

Many bear experts recommend both bear pepper spray and a back up gun as well. The issue with bears as far as guns go is penetration to be able to get to the vital organs. The .44 mag will do that much more effectively than a 10 mm. If you are up in Alaska, the .454 Cassull is better choice if you can handle that kind of recoil. 12 ga with selected slugs gives you even better protection and of course, I have my Marlin .444 with gives double the power of even the .454 Cassull. If you are younger than me, then the 45/70 in a guide gun is very popular. I have been with in 3 feet of a black bear checking out our tent in Fairbanks Alaska and all my dad had was .410 shotgun single shot for the rabbit hunting he was doing. Thinking back on that, i am glad the bear was afraid of the noise of the gun going off into the air.

GallowGlass

Cooke City Bear Attack,1dead-2 injured

When camping in Bear Country be prepared for the worst case scenario.Despite warning signs posted at Soda Butte(Yellowstone) campground,deadly encounters occur, and did. This attack happened in the night,all were in tents with food stored properly in containers.None of the individuals had pepper spray,or weapons for defense against any type of attack.The bear got a punch in the nose from one surviving camper that was bit on while in his sleeping bag! It's a tragic ending to a "vacation"in the forest in Montana for the killed campers family.Bears are active carnivores, especially at night,foraging for easy pickings. Defend your- self with all the means possible when camping out in Bear Country.God Bless

HiBC

Before I went on my trip to Alaska I received a lot of advise not to worry about bears,they avoid humans,keep a clean site,etc.
I bought a brand new Moss tent,and never put any food of any kind in it.There was no garbage in camp.Examining my expeience,the only error I can see that we made was the use of wet wipes for personal hygene.They had some perfume in them.
I am certainly glad I chose to disregard the advise of those who scoffed at carrying a weapon.The problem with lumping all bears in one typical pattern of behavior is that individual bears do what they please.They do not read bear etiquette books.
I do not percieve the general population of bears to be bent on the destruction of mankind .We can,and sometimes do,meet a bear that will kill us .
The recent attack in Montana is evidence.My experience is evidence.
I did not want to kill the bear.I declined an opportunity to hunt bear.It was offered.I smacked the bear across the face with my shotgun.I hollered.I fired a warning shot.This bear was not leaving.He had an exppressionless,calm stare as he just kept slowly approaching.
My former spouse had a large laceartation and some puncture wounds from where he had put his paws on top of her and bit her through the tent and her bag.
We were 200 Yukon River miles from the pipeline road.

What do you suppose the odds are we would have had fatalities had I not been armed?This bear was 6 ft 6 nose to tail.

Later,my bandaged spouse and I tried Denali park.Yes,my .44 was in my rucksack..One early grey dawn a helicopter showed up to extract a back country hiker who had been harassed by a grizlly all night.This guy walked out 2 to 3 am.
I think the folks who advise against carrying a firearm in bear country make as much sense as folks who think boats should not have life preservers on board.
As far as the question about a double stack 10mm vs a .44,I do not know.In either case,you need penetration rather than expansion.
IMO,a handgun is great because it is on you all the time.
If you are slammed down and being chewed on,it is hope.
You may have time,as I did,to get a long gun in hand.I would sure prefer a slug gun with hard,penetrating slugs or a cut down yugo in 8mm full of 200 gr Noslers or a lightweight .308 somplace in your outfit.

longranger

I am an advocate of spray,bang,spray,bang,spray,bang until the bear is dead or gone which ever may occur first.
.41 Mag loaded with 215 gr SWC Keith style hard cast bullet @ 1200fps will kill anything with nearly 1000ft.lbs of energy,more if you want more.