Another Attempt...

deputy tom

You folks know what bad luck I seem to have with plastic pistols in general and kel-tec's in particular.I'm getting the urge to try one last time for a reliable kel-tec.Either talk me into it or talk me out of it.Thanks.tom. :cool:

Lou22

Deputy:

If you're getting a P3AT, do a "Fluff and Buff" on it before you shoot it. You can get the instructions off the mouseguns.com website. It took less than an hour to do mine, with just a little #400 sandpaper. The gun's been absolutely reliable ever since. It goes where ever I can't take my larger carrys.

If you're getting something else (like a P11), I've had no experience with it. I do have a Kahr PM9 which is slightly smaller and is completely reliable after break in.

Lou

Javelin Man

plastic

You can't have the bad luck of purchasing only bad guns. The next one is guaranteed to be perfect out of the box! Of course, you're going to clean it and polish the feed ramp and work the slide, loading the magazines and hand cycling some ammunitions. You'll also have an extra magazine to confirm that you have a great gun, but one bad magazine.

Think positive! And burn some incense and candles first. Get the bad spirits out of the gun before you shoot it.

Read through these forums and you'll find people having troubles with their Glocks, Kimbers, S&W's, most any brand.

I have a P11 and a P32. Both took a slightest bit of polishing to be very good, and to find which ammo made them puke so I don't buy any more of that stuff.

Good luck and your next one will be a keeper.

S.E.R.T.SGT

Deputy Tom, just curious if you are set on the Kel-tec, or will you consider another? You may want to take a look at the Kahr as well. I have owned both, and prefer the Kahr to the Kel-Tec. Just my .02.

deputy tom

Thanks for your imput Guys.I'll resist temptation and re-think my situation.A Kahr would probably be a better choice since I've owened a couple(steel and P40) and they both worked pretty well.Thanks again.tom.

Hans

I had one, took it to the range for one trip, and got rid of it. If you've had one before, skip it and look for something else.

kymasabe

Kel-Tec experience.

I bought a new Kel-Tec P3AT a few months ago.
Day 1: took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it.
Day 2: Range, 50 rounds, many failure to both feed and eject, took home, did fluff-n-buff, and recleaned/lubed.
Day 3: range, 30 rounds, better but still problems...and on round 31 that day, the slide seized in the back position.

Well, shipped it back to Kel-Tec. They wanted to know what ammo I was using and what I intend to use when I carry. I told them Hydro-Shoks to carry, they said they'd test fire with ammo of my choice and get it back to me within 3 weeks. Well sure enough, just short of three weeks, the gun comes back with new barrel and slide and works 100%. The more I use it and it breaks in, the better it feels too. Kel-Tec customer service was great.
The point is...if a Kel-Tec is what you want and the minor fluff and buff doesn't cure any ills it comes with, Kel-Tec will do their magic and make it perfect for you.

My other choice was a Kahr PM-9 but didn't buy for two reasons: One was money, was too expensive. Second was I just don't trust Jason Moon, his family history and where Kahrs money goes.

Anyway, the local range I go to...all the guys that work there open carry and all have Kel-Tec P32's as back-ups. They say the .32 is more reliable. Another idea is there is a gunsmith/plater ...I think he's in Texas, last name is Fuselier, does some amazing things with Kel-Tecs: bead blasting, plating, fluff-n-buff. People who've had him work on their guns say he's a master and does great work.
While my Kel-Tec was away, I looked at other small guns as another possibility and got a chance to fire a few North American Arms Guardians. I shot the .32acp, the .380 and the cool .32NAA round. All of them worked flawlessly. Great little guns. Are metal so heavier than the Kel-Tec but small and reliable. Just chucking another possibility out there.

S.E.R.T.SGT

Sounds like the right decision to me...I had the .380 Kel-Tec and it was ok, but went to the Kahr, for the 9mm, and now it is my primary BUG. Be safe!

tshadow6

kel-tec

My Kel-tec P32 does just fine with winchester silvertips. It does not like any other ammo or brand. Maybe you should try some better ammo. Silvertip HP can be found at any walmart.

BobK

I've had my Kel Tec P32 for about 4-5 years and never had any problems. Also have a Kahr P9. No problem there either. To date I have 600 rounds through the Kahr and about 300 through the P32. I trust them both. I normally carry a full size Kimber. But when I can't, I carry the Kahr and/or the P32.