anniversary blackhawk/new vaquero frame size vs standard blackhawk/vaquero

bigghoss

so I was reading an article about ruger's .44 special blackhawk(even though I'm not really that interested in the caliber) and the author explained that originally the blackhawk was slightly smaller than the ones made today, being designed around the .357mag and .44 special. but before the .44special went into production the .44magnum was just coming out and the blackhawk was beefed up to handle the new cartridge, giving us the blackhawk we know now(and the one I own in .45colt:D)

the article went on to talk about how the 50th anniversary .357 blackhawk, .44special blackhawk, and new vaquero have returned to this original frame size. this is what piqued my interest as having a .357 blackhawk has never appealed to me when I could have the same gun in a more powerfull cartridge like a +p .45colt.

so what I'm wondering is how much smaller is this frame size compared to the more common blackhawk like the one I own?

salvo

Hi bigghoss, most seem to be calling them mid sized frames. Visually there is a difference, but not allot. They feel much more different though than they look and most of that must be in the grip and balance of the piece.
I have a 1957 .357 Flat Top, 50th Flat Top and the .44 Special Flat Top, they all handle wonderfully and ruger really is doing a great job with the new ones fit, finish and accuracy. In comparison I have a Super Blackhawk .44 Mag and an Bisley Vaquero .44 Mag. The feel is just different and I'm sure it would be different from person to person also. And then to make it even more complicated is the new .44 Special has a steel grip frame and ejector rod housing! Not to mention the Bisley compared to the SBH grip frame.
I'll try to take a couple of side by side pictures for you tomarrow. But the bottom line, I think Ruger made a great move to the mid size frame for the .357 & 44 Special.

bigghoss

went and handled a new vaquero today, not a fan. don't like the size of the grip frame and there wasn't enough difference is size to make it handle any better than my .45colt blackhawk for me. guess I'll just stick with DA .357's.

salvo

That's the best way to do it, every one has there own idea of what feels right. I was just loading the pictures for you and might as well post them for others to see. The biggest difference, at least that a person can see is how much smaller the cylinder is on the mid size frame.

Here is the SBH .44 Mag on top and the 50th Anniv. Flat Top .357

IMG_5133.jpg

Here is the Bisley Vaquero .44 Mag on top and 1957 Flat Top .357

IMG_5134.jpg

My 3 mid frames 1957 .357 - 50th .357 - Lipsey's .44 Special

IMG_5137.jpg

SBH .44 Mag 1.731" x 1.950" and .44 Special cylinder 1.676" x 1.827

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

Jim March

On average the new series mid-frames show better quality control and greater accuracy (again, on average!) with fewer "bad monday guns" than the large-frame series.

I own a New Vaquero 357 with heavy modifications and absolutely love it. None of the mods were because of factory QC problems, I just changed some ergonomics to make the gun fit me (SBH hammer, altered grip panels), bumped the sights up to where they now dwarf any Blackhawk :) and did a spring kit.