Ankle holster sock double up....

gumshoe4

I've been carrying a small gun (currently an SP101 or 649) in an ankle holster for about 5 years now. I use a Galco ankle glove and it works well, except that it tends to abrade my tender ankle flesh and irritate my skin.

Someone several days ago suggested to another member that he "double up" socks when wearing the ankle holster-in other words, put on a thin sock, put on the gun and ankle holster and then pull up another sock outside the holster to cover it.

In all this time, I've never tried it, but I did so today, lugging around the SP101 on the ankle-it's a pretty heavy little gun and would ordinarily cause me some pain, but not today. That sock double up thing really works...

Thank you, anonymous TFL member, for that little suggestion. Those of you who ankle carry might want to give this a try!!

Bob

riverdog

I'm not familiar with the Galco ankle glove. Is it usually worn under your sock or over it? Which of the socks is extra, the under sock or the over sock? Will the outer sock impede access to the weapon?

another okie

I can't speak for gumshoe4, but I use the same holster for a Taurus 85. I usually just pull my regular sock up over the outside of the holster without pulling it so high that it blocks the top of the holster. This helps with concealment. I do occasionally "double sock," but the inside sock needs to be thin. A silk sock liner is ideal.

gumshoe4

Yep. Another Okie's got it.

You pull on a thin sock. The Ankle Glove is an elastic holster attached to a wide elastic band which closes with Velcro. You fasten the Ankle Glove outside the thin sock, then put on another regular sock which you pull over the holster to conceal it, leaving the butt of the gun exposed out the top, then pull the trouser leg down over it all. This way, you can pull up the trouser leg and grab the gun butt for the draw. The inner sock prevents chafing, abrasion and skin irritation.

Works good!

Bob

VictorLouis

The exta sock adds extra bulk in your shoe.

Just cut the tops off of some old holey ones to slip onto to your ankle for protection. Then snug the neoprene band around it. My skin was in constant irritation until another TFL member(IIRC) turned me on to this method.

Ben Shepherd

I carry an sp101 every day in an Allesi ankle rig. I just wear it over my regular sock, under my jeans. Never had trouble this way.

Jack19

Switch to a Lou Alessi Ankle Rig.....comfort guaranteed, :D

(and I carry a Glock 29, 10mm, in mine)

C.R.Sam

Ladies Knee Highs are great for second sock applications where the extra bulk of a second regular sock would be uncomfortable due to the added bulk in a shoe or boot.

They are also great for added warmth if worn with insulated or wool socks in the winter. (For those who have winter :) )

Sam