Ankle Gun

branrot

I like ankle carry. Currently, I alternate between my Walther PPK, Kel-Tec P11, S&W Model 60, and S&W Model 342ti. While I think the P11 has the most firepower, I don't care for my ankle holster for it and can't find another one. I'm considering a Glock 27 (which Galco makes an ankle holster for), as well as trading my 2 S&W's for a Scandium when they come out.

So what are good ankle guns, and what should I do?

Jeff OTMG

I gave up my Walther PPK as an ankle gun a few years ago. It was replaced with a Kahr MK9. Same size, but a 9mm rather than a .380. I use the Alessi ankle holster and I know Lou makes one for the G27 because he made 400 of them for a security force in the middle east.

Powermwt

I've been using an Alessi ankle holster for my G26 for several years now and I'm real happy with it as well as the Glock. MWT

Redlg155

Although the G26 can be carried in an ankle holster, it is still quite a chunk of gun. A good airweight can't be beat in an ankle holster for pure comfort.

I would keep the titanium weapon for an ankle gun unless your heart was set on the Glock. I understand that scandium can make a light J frame even lighter, but who wants a gun that will punish the hell out of you? At best you will only develop a nasty flinch, the worst..who knows. Even the titanium J frames are nasty creatures!:D

Another suggestion is the Keltec P32. That is my next project that I want. I was amazed at how light it was the first time I examined one. This would definitely be a weapon you could slip into a pocket or ankle holster and forget about it.

Good Shooting
RED

jadams951

I carry a S&W Model 642(pre sellout) airweight in a Galco ankle holster. I don't use that sock holder upper looking thing as it stays put and doesn't rise or move around on me. With that airweight I don't even notice it's there now.

Coronach

A 640 (all-steel, baby) rides on my ankle with a Galco Ankle-Glove while on duty. I don't even notice it, and it has stayed put during some pretty long footchases- one which involved multiple 6' walls (*huff* *puff*).

I would strongly encourage using the sock-holder-upper-thingy :)D)...if you get involved in a windsprint and the main velcro closure gives way, the upper will at least keep it flopping against your leg long enough for you to pause, reach down and secure it (if circumstances allow).

Mike

once you have titanium on your ankle, everything else feels like a brick...although i was used to my model 60 with no complaints till i borrowed a 342 to try out....now i want one...

jwise

Taurus 617ti. It's a 7-shot 357, so it's a little better than just a little 5-shot 38. In addition, it's Titanium and handles like a champ (low recoil.) At least, that's what works for me.

J. Wise

orlando5

Yeah titanium are great. Very light gun, I would have bought one if they didn't have the "Taurus Security System".

Onslaught

Just the pure, un-biased facts:

Even a big FAT Glock 26 is slimmer (by a bit) than a revolver.

The Kel-Tec P11 only weights 14 oz.

I'm not saying that these two are better than any revolver, I'm just pointing out that some of the statements regarding the comparison are a bit 'overzealous', and the real size and weight diffs between the two are slim and none.

Before you guys rip me a new one, I don't own a G26 or a KTP11, but I do own a Taurus 85UL. ;)

orlando5

Taurus has a Titanium 9mm.
http://www.taurususa.com/titanium/111ti.html
What turn me off about this gun is their "Taurus Security System". I hate integrated safety locks. I cannot stand them. The integrated safety locks has two purpose. The first one is to please anti gun breeding liberals. The second is the increase the chance of a malfunction in the gun.

I like the P-11. IMO it is the best ankle gun in the market.

nr123

I use a Mdl 642 in a Ken Null ankle holster. I've tried several other guns and a number of holsters, but none compare to this combo for weight and security.

branrot

Well, I've been using an Alessi ankle holster for my P11 (because he's the only person who makes one), and for some reason it just does not fit me well (sorry Lou). Very high quality, holds the gun well, everyone else seems to like them, but it just doesn't sit right on my ankle. The neoprene/velcro/leather ones from Galco and Desantis just seem to fit me better.

if you search the web, you can find the galco for around 60 bucks as compared to 75 at the galco sight....i found it at some place for 58.95 while researching for an ankle safe...i have the renegade but I knwo lots of you like the molded holster and if I were getting one, I'd go for the Galco...same quality as Alessi but much cheaper and more comfortable....

Betty

I carry my P32 in an ankle holster. Tiny, slim and light, perfect for tiny, slim and light people. I also keep a spare mag with it as well.

denfoote

I am not really an ankle holster man. However, I do own such a beast for my wife's G26. I have only worn it once. Wearing it on a consistant basis will necessitate buying "boot cut" jeans. Quite an expensive undertaking at today's prices. Anyway, it was comfortable. The weight was not to excessive. I would say, if you are into it (I am not) go with the G26. Oh, by the way, the ankle holster I have is the Fobus "stealth".