Ankle glove or the fobus

Recon7

I have been pocket carrying my S&W 642 J-frame in a Safariland pocket holster for a while and think I ought to get an ankle holster to add more options of carry mode, particularly for those "grey areas" where I don't want to be made. I have it down to the Galco ankle glove or this one pictured below by Fobus. I just wanted some Input on which people out there preferred. Personally I like plastic holsters so that is not a problem for me. I had planned on shopping locally and trying them both on but nobody seems to have any in stock, so before I order online I figured I'd run it past you fellers here.

j357a-001.jpg

CWPinSC

Ankle carry ranks somewhat below SOB carry for me. It's slow to get to, and puts you in a compromising physical position when reaching for it. It will usually take both hands to get the weapon out. One hand pulls up the pants leg, the other draws the weapon. You may not have that off hand free. Same for SOB carry. One hand pulls up the shirt, the other draws.

Pocket carry is obviously great. It's HARD to "make" someone who uses a pocket holster. You can already have your hand on your weapon, ready for action. For me, OWB strong side is easiest. I simply slide my strong hand thumb under my shirt, raising it as I place my hand on the grip and draw my weapon. Or, I can flip my shirt tail up with my strong side hand, and quickly reach for the gun.

Ankle carry might be good for a BUG, but I wouldn't use it for primary carry.

Just my .02

zwanboy104

In my opinion, those are all garbage. It's not even worth the time and money put into them. I made that mistake of trying that. The best ankle holster in the world is the Alessi ankle holster. I should have bought it in the first place. The quality is the BEST. And as far as comfort goes, it's beyond comfortable. Once you find where it's comfortable on you, you won't know it's there.

The others may work for some. But I would never settle for anything less than the Alessi ankle holster ever again.

scottycoyote

i have a fobus and an alessi. The fobus is nice and secure, the only slight problem with mine is it seems to push the butt of the handgun out more (i have an oversized grip on a sw 340pd), so if your pants arent fairly loose at the ankles u print some. Other then that i like it fine, havent tried the galco.