And yet another XD question?

TCman

Im still stuck in between a 4 and 5 inch model? Any big difference? Will the bi-tone finish on the slide last longer?

Mikeyboy

If you were talking about an XD made before I thing april 2006 I would say get the Bi-tone stainless slide. The old finish on the XD slides were bad and tended to rust. Now that the XD are coated with Melonite (almost the same as Glock's Tennifer finish) I would get the black slide.

Dellec

Sorry to jump in here...but would you happen to know if the new coating also includes the grip saftey? I've seen lots of pictures of these with a rusted saftey...but I can't tell if these pictures are the old finish or the new one.

MikeRussell

Just a note on the finish, all .45ACP XDs have the melonite finish.

I've got a Service (4in) .40smith and a Tactical (5in) .45acp. I like the Tactical better for it's longer sight radius, standard full length guide rod, and because it just flat out shoots better than the Service. The Service feels better balanced when unloaded though, but that nose heavy feeling of the Tactical also helps reduce muzzle flip (my Tactical feels really well balanced to me with a full magazine).

SlickSX

I heard some where that the foam in some cases will cause the gun to rust. So I have my wrapped in a cloth...at least until i get a better case. I haven't seen rust on my XD (but then again its fairly new like just under 1 year)

oh btw I have the 4 inch .40SW and its great.

DeathRodent

Everyone should know NOT to store guns in the plastic foam lined case they sell it to you in.

Foam is not good for storage - by a $6 Bore-Store - I've used them for years no rust.