And the winner is S&W...

Geezerbiker

I've been talking about getting a new concealed carry piece for a long while now. I really wanted a Kimber Micro9 but the price was just more than I could justify. Then I narrowed it down to a Ruger SR9 or a Glock 19. I still couldn't make up my mind then I read about the S&W M&P Shield9. I looked one over, thought about it for a few days, shopped around and today brought one home.

I'm hoping to get out and shoot it over the next few days. BiMart had Rem-UMC 250 round ammo packs on sale so I got one of those at the same time and in anticipation I bought a 50 round box of the same at wallyworld last week.

So far I'm pleased with my purchase and I hope to become more so after I shoot it...

Tony

OhioGuy

Yup, Shield is a top seller for a reason! Great shooters, slim but still easy to grip well. Lots of aftermarket too. I'm a fan of Crimson Trace's "Laser Grip" and for Shield they have one that's a laser and light combo -- great value in a very small size.

Enjoy that shield!

Spats McGee

Administrator
Everybody loves New Gun Day! Congratulations. My EDC is a 9mm Shield these days, and it's a great little pistol.

jr24

Congrats on your new gun day!

Shield is too thin for my mitts, but it is a fine gun. It'll serve you well

Geezerbiker

To be honest I was way overdue to get a new gun. When I decided the next gun was going to be something for concealed carry, I looked at a lot of small 9, and I liked this one the best and the price was right. If it were perfect, the barrel would be a little longer and the slide release wouldn't take a Herculean effort to work.

I also have big hands but it's still very comfortable to hold. I'll try to get out to shoot it later this week but I'd be surprised if I don't still love it...

Tony

Fishbed77

I couldn't pass on a Shield back when they were going for under $215 with S&W's rebate.

I'm glad I didn't - it has become the pistol I carry the most now.

OhioGuy

I was between the Shield 1.0 and the Walther PPS M2 -- got the Walther last summer (2017) when they were running $100 rebates. I liked the grip and trigger of the PPS better.

Then the Shield 2.0 came out with a better trigger and improved grip. If I could to it all over again, at the same price points, it would be a wash I think. I might tip towards M&P because they have more accessories.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I didn't get my Shield as cheaply as some did. But I'd suggest that you, Geezerbiker, look around to see if there are any incentives of which you can take advantage. S&W sent me two magazines, two boxes of ammo and a mag loader, just for buying my Shield & sending them the receipt.

FITASC

I didn't get my Shield as cheaply as some did. But I'd suggest that you, Geezerbiker, look around to see if there are any incentives of which you can take advantage. S&W sent me two magazines, two boxes of ammo and a mag loader, just for buying my Shield & sending them the receipt.

That should send you a message about how precarious some companies are in right now; it seems with Trump winning, the panic mode dropped dead and these guys are sitting on a LOT of Finished Goods Inventory they need to move one way or another. I bet we see some great sales coming up UNLESS the Rs lose a bunch of congressional seats in November.

dontcatchmany

I have the Shield 40 (with a 9mm barrel and mags). It was a challenge to get it to shoot accurately, but an Apex trigger kit and a recoil spring assembly and approximately 2,000 rounds put it as my daily carry.

UNTIL I got the Shield 45 2.0. First shot from it was dead center of my aim and after approximately 500 rounds it is my daily carry along with the Shield 40.

A friend cane to see me a couple of days ago and he remarked at the targets that were in my back yard range. He was impressed with the very tight group of about 30 rounds (basically one hole) from 10 yards.

Both have never had a failure except a couple of failure to feeds with the 40. The new recoil assembly fixed that.

I now trust both of them with my life.

Last edited:

Rangerrich99

Congrats. I have a 1.0 version and couldn't be happier with it after installing an Apex Tactical trigger.

Side note: you may want to get an Uplula loader as the mags are notoriously difficult to load the last couple rounds until they've been through a few dozen cycles. Save your thumbs a lot of grief.

Spats McGee

Administrator
^^^Yes! Even after a year, about 6 range trips, and letting mags sit loaded for weeks on end, the mags in my Shield are a BEAR to load for those last couple of rounds.

Brian48

Love my Shield, even with the stupid MA compliant trigger. I generally carry it only during the summer though when my attire makes it difficult to conceal carry something bigger. Currently carrying it's bigger brother right now (mp40c).