and the heavens parted and I saw....

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I went to Gun Show this last weekend and saw an orginal Fitz Special. This was a Colt New Service Army, cut down to 2 inchesm the grip bobbed and re-welded, the hammer bobbed off, the front of the trigger guard removed, and the whole thing renickled. UGLY as sin, but brutal looking.

Ever find a one of a kind?

He wanted too much, but it was really cool to see.

here is a photoshop version of one:

rhedley

Friz Spec

I understand Fitz had all of his front pockets leather lined.. He carried one gun in each of his front pockets.. Cool ! :cool:

Hummmmm....

My way of thinking, that's more like looking at the face of hell itself... :)

It looks like it's been Rex Applegated...

Hal

:D
Mongo want!
:D

Actually. bizarre as it sounds. Mongo want do that to a Ruger Super Red Hawk in either .454 or .480 :eek:

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
A minor historical sidelight - - -

Famed aviator Charles A. Lindbergh's baby was kidnapped in New Jersey in March 1932. The body was not found for 73 days. During that time, the family was the target of many crank contacts and threats. The Director of the N.J. State Police was H. Norman Schwarzkopf, father of the later commander of U. S. Forces in the Gulf War.

The Director arranged for Col. Lindbergh to have a "Fitz" version of the Colt Detective Special, which he apparently carried regularly. I have heard that Fitz himself coached Lindbergh on double action shooting, but have been unable to find this in references.

In the early 1970s, an older fireman acquaintance offered to sell me a .45 Colt New Service. I wanted the classic large holster gun, and was ready to pay the asking price of $60.00. I was not prepared to see this huge-framed gun with the barrel cut to two inches, trigger guard cut out, hammer bobbed, and butt rounded, and nickle plated. I thought at the time, "What a waste of a nice revolver!" I remarked that someone had done a very nice job on the modifications, but such a piece was just not my cup of tea, and I passed. At that time, this was just a decent price for a good New Service or 1917 Colt, and I really thought this example had been reduced in value.

Would that I had that gun today! Even if a locally-produced copy of a Fitz Special, it would be a good example of the type. And, what if a call to Colt . . . ? Nawww, it doesn't bear consideraion.:(

Best,
Johnny Guest

Hemicuda

cool piece...

one question...

WHY cut the trigger guard off? that looks dorky and unsafe,if you ask me... everything else is mondo cool...

deputy tom

Yes,I've seen and handled a few Fitz's and always thought of them as handsome firearms.I just wish I could afford one.Couldn't back then and can't now.tom.:(