An thought-provoking message from Paul Harvey

Rome

This should spark some discussion when you confront an anti with this info. I thought I'd share it with you.

Rome

Subject: some thoughts on guns by Mr.. Harvey

For the "gun nuts" and those afraid of guns, we are, here is a little
lesson from our rich heritage of people who think they are doing so much
good.

Paul Harvey on Guns
Are you considering backing gun control laws? Do you think
that because you may not own a gun, the rights guaranteed by
the Second Amendment don't matter? CONSIDER;

In 1929 the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929
to 1953, approximately 20 million dissidents, unable to
defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915-1917, 1.5
million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to
1945, 13 million Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally
ill, and others, who were unable to defend themselves, were
rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20
million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves,
were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to
1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves,

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979,
300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977,
one million "educated" people, unable to defend themselves,

That places total victims who lost their lives because of gun
control at approximately 56 million in the last century.
Since we should learn from the mistakes of history, the
next time someone talks in favor of gun control, find out
which group of citizens they wish to have exterminated.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were
forced to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be
destroyed, a program costing the government more than $500
million dollars. The results Australia-wide; Homicides are
up 3.2% Assaults are up 8 % Armed robberies are up 44% In
that countries' state of Victoria, homicides with firearms
are up 300%. Over the previous 25 years, figures show a
steady decrease in armed robberies and Australian politicians
are on the spot and at a loss to explain how no improvement
in "safety" has been observed after such monumental effort
and expense was successfully expended in "ridding society of
guns." It's time to state it plainly; Guns in the hands of
honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control
laws only affect the law-abiding citizens. Take action
before it's too late, write or call your delegation.

Rome

Unfortunately, no. It was posted to me from a friend of mine. I'll try to locate it, however.
R

JJR

I have seen this posted several times on different boards but this is the first time I've seen it credited to Paul Harvey. Though I don't know Mr. Harvey's opinion on the 2nd, I just don't think he talks like that.

The arguments, however, are still valid. When something is a known truth, it doesn't really matter who said it.

"... and that's the rest of the story!"

Jeff Thomas

Unfortunately, I generally find this is the weakest argument with anti's and fence-sitters ... they simply see this as being out there in the 'ozone' somewhere. Self defense arguments carry more weight, generally. After, after they've calmed down enough to actually think about the RKBA, then later they can begin to understand this perspective.

I too think this doesn't sound much like the way Paul Harvey delivers his messages.

Regards from AZ

CindyH

Do you really think so, Jeff?
The self defense issue came second to me, because I was always afraid of someone getting the gun away from me, a kid finding it etc.

This, to me was the strongest argument against gun control.
(But, then again, maybe I should come in out of the ozone once in a while. :D :D :D
I suppose I could be accused of being just a little more anit-govt than your average 31-year old mother ;), so you're probably right)

Rome

When this was sent to me, I decided to post it because it seem pertinent to the core argument about the true reason we have 2A. I agree that in a debate with an anti, the argument of self-defense hits home more clearly than the "gobal" issue of self preservation against a tyranny. As for the attribution to Harvey, I admit that I blindly accepted my source's contention. I've found this on the web in a number of places. There was a second essay, too, about Columbine which I edited out.

IMHO, taking the "macro" look at the rkba, this essay is thought provoking regardless who actually composed it.

Rome

Bud Helms

I did a YAHOO search for Paul Harvey and came up with this little ditty from a WSJS radio station web site (no clue as to the location of WSJS):

Webmaster Note: We get lots of requests for transcripts of Paul Harvey broadcasts. Unfortunately, the broadcasts are copyrighted by Paul Harvey News and the ABC Radio Networks. Affiliate stations are not allowed to provide transcrips or tapes of any Paul Harvey programs. You can request information heard on Paul Harvey News & Comment by writing:

Paul Harvey News
333 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1600
Chicago, IL 60601

FWIW, I think I heard the "Paul Harvey On Guns" dialogue in a Paul Harvey update not too long ago on a local AM station.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 28, 2000).]

dZ

Another well known PH commentary:

PAUL HARVEY ON THE COLUMBINE HIGH SCHOOL SHOOTINGS:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"For the life of me, I can't understand what could have gone wrong in Littleton, Colo. If only the parents had kept their children away from the guns, we wouldn't have had such a tragedy.
Yeah, it must have been the guns.

It couldn't have been because of half our children are being raised in broken homes. It couldn't have been because our children get to spend an average of 30 seconds in meaningful
conversation with their parents each day. After all, we give our children quality time.

It couldn't have been because we treat our children as pets and our pets as children.

It couldn't have been because we place our children in day care centers where they learn their socialization skills among their peers under the law of the jungle while employees who have
no vested interest in the children look on and make sure that no blood is spilled.

It couldn't have been because we allow our children to watch, on average, seven hours of television a day filled with the glorification of sex and violence that isn't fit for adult consumption.

It couldn't have been because we allow (or even encourage) our children to enter into virtual worlds in which, to win the game, one must kill as many opponents as possible in the most
sadistic way possible.

It couldn't have been because we have sterilized and contracted our families down to sizes so small that the children we do have are so spoiled with material things that they come to equate
the receiving of the material with love.

It couldn't have been because our children, who historically have been seen as a blessing from God, are now being viewed as either a mistake created when contraception fails or
inconveniences that parents try to raise in their spare time.

It couldn't have been because we give two-year prison sentences to teen-agers who kill their newborns.

It couldn't have been because our school systems teach the children that they are nothing but glorified apes who have revolutionized out of some primordial soup of mud .

It couldn't have been because we teach our children that there are no laws of morality that transcend us, that everything is relative and that actions don't have consequences. What the heck,
the president gets away with it.

Nah, it must have been the guns."[/quote]