An overlooked GEM, Ruger SR40

PolarFBear

Loaded a LOT of 40 cal over the summer. Then, realized I only had ONE 40 cal; Beretta 96 Centurion. At a recent gun show went looking for another 40. Was really looking for a Gen 3 S&W. Not finding anything I discovered the Ruger SR40. Had liked it's looks since waaaay back. But, was not too particular, just wanted another 40. The price was right, $350, no box only one mag. Took it home looked it over, it was near new. Started carrying it in a Galco IWB bought for a Sig P220. The more I carry it the better I like it. I have the gamut from NAA .22 to DE 50 AE, so LOTS of choices. The Glock 19 WAS my edc but it just NEVER felt "right". Seventeen rounds of major caliber, safety (like a 1911) on the frame, great feel. I am pleased. And why does Ruger never get any love? Dislikes, striker fired, mag safety. But I can live with it. Now need to consider a SR9 and SR45.

Ruger SR9C has had a ton of love over the years and still going strong. IMO the best Pistol Ruger has produced. Solid construction. Built like the Proverbial Ruger Tough should be.

WFHjqfh.jpg

RaXbXTN.jpg

wbbh

I've got an SR40, it's a good shooter, though for shooting .40 S&W I prefer my Steyr M40-A1 pistol. I had an SR9 and it was good too.

Mosin44az

Had an SR40c and an SR45. Liked their looks also, and also the thumb safety design which could be flicked off pretty easily but could not, due to its shape and position, be flicked on by accident.

Unfortunately neither SR was reliable enough to be carried. Both had issues feeding or ejecting consistently enough, and the SR40c had trigger problems also. Good luck with yours.

Denis Prisbey (DPris) who used to comment on here, seemed to think the SR series was not fully developed by Ruger and that the clunky American was their improved, 2.0 striker pistol. Too bad Ruger didn’t put more effort into the SR as it looks better and has a better feel in the hand.

Last edited:
Do not know about the 40.cal or 45 but the SR9 I have and others at my club have, still enjoy nothing but outstanding flawless shooting with them. As far as Prisbey, I remember his comments. To me it seemed he had a need or personal interest to promote the Ruger American. I never bought into his comments about the SR9C which Ironically was when the American was making it's debut and Ruger seemingly trying to discontinue the SR9 in order to move sales to the American, which in fact never took off. In fact the SR9 continued to be the favorite and even made a come back in manufacturing. It is obvious that was the gun the Ruger fans really wanted and loved. A proven well built, solid performer.

Last edited:

BWM

I have 4 40 all have hammers and a good safety I love shooting them I do all of my reloading for ever gun that I have and for some that my fiends and family has I had looked at that gun different times no hammer that is why I did not by I have one that is a striker fired do not like them

Armybrat

Bought my first SR9 when they first came out, gifted it to my oldest son several years ago and replaced it with an SR45. Gave the .45 to my other son two years ago, missed them so much I bought two SR9s last year - all of them have been very accurate, reliable shooters with very good fit & finish. Excellent value quality pistols that are highly underrated.

The “hi-cap” magazines are pretty pricey and hard to come by nowadays.

PolarFBear

Armybrat. Good report. Found a "full" capacity magazine at the same show I got my SR40 for $34. Next on my list is either of the other 2 SR's; and then, the other one!

Forte S+W

I had actually planned on getting a Ruger SR40c as a carry gun last year, but then I found a Smith & Wesson SW40VE which was only a bit larger and about an ounce heavier for $199 LNIB, couldn't pass it up.

Sadly, it seems like Ruger has discontinued the SR Series, but they already discontinued the SR Series once before, so that doesn't necessarily mean that it's gone for good. If it ever resurfaces, I may have to pick one up.

Brian48

I have the SR9c. Great gun. Not my primary EDC any more, but I still it every now and then. Really surprised Ruger dropped the gun from their production line.

jjavedas

I own an SR45,passed up to me from an in-law(now outlaw) who lost his legal ability to a firearm, when I received it it wouldn't fire, trigger problem that Ruger knew about. contacted Ruger and told it was covered under warranty. Great so i packed it up and sent it on it's way, honestly didn't expect to see it again for a couple of months. Low and behold it was UPS'd back to me in less than 10 days round trip, WOW ok Ruger has my undivided attention and always will.
Now as far as the pistol, it does every thing it's supposed to, the grip length is a little long for me and I'm not a big fan of plastic striker fired hand guns. So my grandson now has a real .45, He's 6'3" and it fits him well.
Ruger's customer service is second too none.

Desmosedici

They have 17 round magazines in .40? I thought they were 15.

My brother has an SR40, it is a very accurate and sweet-shooting gun.

Forte S+W

I'm really sad that the SR Series was discontinued as it was a much nicer pistol than the American Pistol Series that replaced it.

I'm also really sad that Ruger has completely stopped chambering their pistols in the .40 S&W cartridge, as I really like the compromise between capacity and energy the cartridge offers between 9mm Luger and .45 ACP. But sadly all it takes for people to drop an otherwise excellent duty cartridge is for Law Enforcement to step away with it, then make a few vague blanket statements about how the cartridge that just so happens to be cheaper and easier to shoot is equally effective.

larryf1952

There are 6 40's in my stable, but none of them is an SR. I have owned a full size stainless SR9 for 5 or 6 years, though. When I first bought it, it was my choice over a first gen M&P, since the M&P's OEM trigger was so hideous. Even so, the SR's trigger left me a bit cold after the first 500 or so rounds. I even decided to sell it to a friend who expressed some interest in it at the time.

But, that deal fell through, so I began to tinker around with the internals and did some judicious crocus cloth polishing on the trigger mechanism. Afterwards, I was really surprised at the improvement in the smoothness of the pull. In fact, I'm currently shooting the SR again, and I'm really pleased with how pleasant it is to shoot.

I don't care for the loaded chamber indicator, but that's a minor point for me, and I can't see it when I'm shooting. The frame feels a little thin and slab sided when I first pick up the gun. But, after shooting a few rounds, I don't even think about it. I doubt that I'd ever carry the full size gun, anyway.

About 6 months after buying the SR9, I went ahead and bought an M&P. I stuck an Apex trigger kit in it, and that gun was totally transformed, too. It's good to have choices. :D

Fishbed77

My brother has owned an SR9 for over a decade and it’s been an excellent pistol.

Despite the unnecessary and awkward safety features (mag disconnect, LCI, and manual safety), I feel it is honestly better than any of the service-size semiautomatics Ruger currently offers.

Webleymkv

Originally posted by Fishbed77
Despite the unnecessary and awkward safety features (mag disconnect, LCI, and manual safety), I feel it is honestly better than any of the service-size semiautomatics Ruger currently offers.

While these features don't usually bother me (I actually prefer a manual safety on most striker-fired handguns), the mag disconnect on the SR series is, IMHO, poorly designed as dry firing the gun without the magazine inserted can damage the striker. Fortunately, the mag disconnect is easily removed which I recommend for the above-stated reason.

WESHOOT2

(Oddly), my youngest daughter prefers her SR40 out of ALL THE OTHER CHOICES available to her (which are, and have been, considerable).