An oldie but a Goodie

farnorthdan

I finally got a chance to shoot my "new to me" S&W model 1917, I was waiting on moon clips from midway, they finally arrived Friday. This sucker really has some punch to her and boy are those moon clips a pain to load and unload without a tool. I ordered a tool today.

I did notice that some of my rounds were key-holing, these were reloads with LRN over 4.5 grs universal. I also shot some Rainier plated stuff that shot real well. Any ideas on why the LRN was key-holing?

One more thing; do you guys think its OK to shoot this gun on a regular basis or should I only shoot it occasionally? Its in real good shape for its age but a real hoot to shoot.........

as far as shooting it... I'm not sure the value, but if you enjoy shooting it, & treat her with respect... I would shoot it... especially reloading, if you keep the loads civil ( which sounds like you are )

BTW... got pics ???

Archie

Good old revolvers

The 1917 was intended to be shot with G. I. hardball ammo. So to avoid that 'keyholing' problem, reloads need to be either jacketed or fairly hard alloy. Also, you may find lower velocity loads don't stabilize as well; the rifling is intended for 850 f/s velocities with a 230 FMJ bullet.

However, as always, the .45 ACP responds well to handloading and tinkering, you're not locked into a single load or bullet.

I find 250 grain SWC bullet for 45 Colt work well. Check your loading manual; I'm sure the Lyman book has data for it.