An Odd Happening In A Gun Shop Today

Joe_Pike

Just curious what some of the guys that work in a gun shop would do in this situation:

I was in a shop today that I stop by about once a week and look at the used stuff. There was another guy looking at the used handguns also and had his eye on a BHP for $800. I had looked at the gun before but I think it's priced high, so, I passed. He was checking it out and found that the mag wouldn't drop free when released. The shop guy looked at it and said he thought that it was an aftermarket mag. The guy is ready to pop on it (yes, I watch American Pickers) but said he wants the mag to drop free. He asked if they would switch the mag out (there is another used BHP next to it) if he bought it and the guy says that he wouldn't do that. The guy says fine and walks.

Now, I work retail and I found that very odd. The salesman didn't even try and see if they had another mag that would work. He then started complaining to some of the other guys about losing an $800 sale because of the mag issue. They are one of the most expensive shops in town on used guns (used to be one of the least expensive until investors bought them), so, their margins are really good on used. He could have at least tried to work with the guy, but didn't even make the effort.

Kodyo

He could have at least tried to work with the guy, but didn't even make the effort.

There's more to it than that. I would bet that he knew the gun had a malfunctioning magazine catch (or whatever) and knew that changing the mag would make no difference. He's a lying piece of crap honestly.
If he knew it would have helped, he would have done it in a heart beat.

chris in va

I'm in the wrong business then. My line of work requires me to bend over backward for customers no matter what demands they make. :rolleyes:

kenno

$800 for a used BHP?
The sales guy lost the sale, not the mag.
BHP's used to have mag safetys which could interfere with free fall.
I've had HPs, good gun, but there are too many excelent 1911 clones out there to drop nearly a grand on a used 1935

Irish Paul

The gun might be being sold on consignment, in which case the employee shouldn't be swapping the mags out.

What he should have done was try the other mag, and offer to get a replacement for the customer.

But unfortunately a lot of gunstore employees are jackasses.

Joe_Pike

The gun might be being sold on consignment, in which case the employee shouldn't be swapping the mags out.

This particular store doesn't do consignment sales. I wish they did, as I could use that service on occasion.

Dwight55

My son had one for a while, . . . same exact problem, . . . it was the rubber wrap around grip he had on the thing.

We took off the grip, . . . magazine fell out like it was supposed to.

FYI, . . . FWIW

May God bless,
Dwight

w748

Unless the mag disconect (safety?) has been removed , most BHP mags will not drop free. For $800 I'd buy a new one from CDNN and have a few bucks left.

mes227

Quote:
He could have at least tried to work with the guy, but didn't even make the effort.
There's more to it than that. I would bet that he knew the gun had a malfunctioning magazine catch (or whatever) and knew that changing the mag would make no difference. He's a lying piece of crap honestly.
If he knew it would have helped, he would have done it in a heart beat.

I tend to buy this explanation as the most logical. To not even consider swapping mags on a gun with a $300 profit suggests more to the story. If both guns were consignment, then yes he could not have swapped mags but he could have investigated and offered a replacement or a discount.

DnPRK

w784 has the correct answer. The guy is unfamiliar with the mag disconnect safety on the BHP. Browning went as far as adding a spring to the bottom of their magazines to assist in ejecting the magazine.

MLeake

It could be that neither BHP had the spring-assist mags, and that the counter guy was a poor communicator.

Jimmy10mm

Another example that just because a guy is behind the counter in a gun shop doesn't necessarily mean he knows his guns. As noted, the mag safety pushes against the magazine and can interfere with the mag dropping out easily. If he had applied a bit of lube to both the front on the mag and to the end of the bearing surface of the safety ..... or just explained the reason to the potential buyer he might have had a sale. As for the price, if it was a T-series and in fine condition, I could see $800.

Joe_Pike

that must have been one hell of a special used High Power for $800.

Gold and diamonds?

Did it also come with a new car?

Nope, nothing special as far as I know. They are just way over priced on their used guns at this point. It's a shame too as I would buy from them very regularly in the past.

FrankenMauser

For $800 I'd buy a new one from CDNN and have a few bucks left.

That depends on the year, degree of modifications, and roll stamping on the pistol. Some years and stamps/stamp locations would get me to consider that price point (and I'm not a collector).

Jimmy knows what I'm talking about. ;)

Eghad

You can get a brand new Hi-Power for that price. :eek: Unless its in a collectors category.

If a guy was going to buy a used Browning for that price from me I would have gone to the magazine section and have given him a new one that worked. lol

Microgunner

You can get a brand new Hi-Power for that price. Unless its in a collectors category.

The new P35s are assembled in Portugal from Belgium made parts. The older ones are all Belgium made and fetch a premium over the newer ones in the same condition. Plus the older Belgium built HPs have a much better finish. This may be the case with this P35.

EdInk

It is a used gun. You buy it "as is." If you want a different magazine, buy one for it. I would have let him try a different magazine BUT he shouldn't swap it and pass the problem onto the next guy. One or both could be on consignment, if the owner shows up and says "that's not the magazine I had it in it," then you have a whole other set of issues. It is really that simple. If you want everything to be perfect then buy a new one.