An odd decision: Mosin M44 v Stevens 325 30-30?

raftman

Been wanting a bolt action rifle, but have not been wanting to spend a lot, just having a hard time deciding. Locally, I've found 2 options that I can't decide between. The purpose, is primarily hobby, target shooting and the like. The Mosin M44 definitely is a more interesting gun, and I can get one for under $100, they're also known to be rather dependable, but their bolts tend to be a bit of a pain to operate because my right hand is my weak one, plus I don't like how much it kicks. The Stevens offers a potentially milder recoil, and an easier to operate bolt, but at about twice the price. I've fired a Mosin before, quite a lot in fact, since I've a buddy that owns one; and on the whole, think it's a pretty good gun, but I have only handled the Stevens. So I pose the question to those who are likely more experienced, which would you choose? Is the Stevens somehow superior to the Mosin to make it worth spending twice as much on? Or is the Mosin just a much better choice no matter how you look at it?

the rifleer

do you want a work horse or a show pony?

I have a m44 and its great, but its not a target rifle, the Stevens will deliver better accuracy.

Kreyzhorse

but their bolts tend to be a bit of a pain to operate because my right hand is my weak one, plus I don't like how much it kicks.

I'm a lefty and have no issues working the bolt on my Mosin. Recoil isn't bad either.

jhenry

A slip on recoil pad is an option. The sticky bolt can also be fixed at home. The Mosin will also be much less expensive to feed, is more powerful, and more robust.

Fat White Boy

The M44 sounds like a cannon when you touch it off....And it shoots flame out about 2 feet... I have had a lot of fun with mine....

raftman

Well, the decision is made, I got a Mosin. It was only $79. It does not have the stiff, sticky bolt problem I've observed before with a different one that I've fired so that's a big plus. Woo!