An item almost all of us can agree on: BILLBOARD

Sevens

Y'know, the buying and gun-owning public, from the brand new shooters to the video game folks who just want to snag whatever item they've come to love on their TV screen to the life long hobbyists and purists, competition shooters, collectors, and FILL IN THE BLANK make up a group that all look for different things in their handguns.

Some love the modern guns that use lighter weight, high strength materials and modern manufacturing to make a durable and fine running platform, like something modern and polymer. Others refuse the newer stuff and only get excited with steel topped off with a bit of wood. We can argue til the cows come home about big things and little things and even if we manage to agree on a single platform (say a group who all happen to love a 1911) then we can divide ourselves further when it comes to sights, triggers, serrations, grips, finish, MSH, etc etc etc.

Yes, there's not a thing wrong with this. Variety is the spice of life and if we all had the same thing it would be boring.

What I am chasing here is the idea that there must be something that like 97% of us can agree on, and I'm only bringing it up because it baffles me that if we all agree, why do some of the gunmakers keep doing it?!

I submit: billboard type writing/script on your handgun!

Don't we almost all agree that it just looks horrendous and when all else is equal, it looks awful and the other direction is infinitely better?

Look at a Dan Wesson 1911 and tell me what you see, visually.
Now, look at the Desert Eagle 1911 and just tell me what pops in to your head.

Many believe STI makes a decent handgun and their logo/rollmark with the -sTi- inside the outline of the State of Texas is a fine looking trademark, but WHAT are they thinking when they pound out that h-u-g-e trainwreck model name down the side of the slide?

Rock Island has recent taken to making a neat little logo of their brand at the rear of the slide with their new guns, getting away from the horrendous full-length stamping down the side of the slide. The older ones look like a 53-foot trailer behind a big rig!

The Taurus 1911, for whatever you think of it, would look better without 10 minutes worth of reading down the slab sides, wouldn't you agree?

Which Wilson pistols look better? The ones with barely anything on them, or with HUGE, all-caps names etched in to the length of them?

Does anyone disagree with what I'm trying to say here (with far too many examples?! :p:D)

RX-79G

Another question would be: Despite the poor aesthetics, which marking sells more guns?

If people buy guns despite the billboards, other people may be buying guns because they saw them at the range.

JN01

I wouldn't use it as a deciding factor of whether or not to buy a gun, performance and reliability are much more important. However, everything else being equal, I would choose the gun without all the gaudy stampings.

That is the reason I prefer the Cimarron cap and ball revolvers to the Pietta versions which have crap stamped all over them, for example.

feets

Where does my Whitney Wolverine fall into this?

It's a large highlighted logo but the font fits the style of the gun. I kinda like it.

10603599_10203328313622311_705290982857710545_n.jpg

Sevens

You're right, it does fit that whole package. It's not quite what I was going for in the thread. :p To the point, however, even that printing doesn't run nearly the full length of the handgun like some do.

DA/SA Fan

I don't mind the name or model if it's not the whole gun treatment. What I am hating is the trend towards stamping instructions and warnings on firearms.

s3779m

Have got to agree with you, I don"t mind the company logos. Ex. the ruger bird or the s&w symbol. But if I want to read I'll get a magazine. Its only time before we see advertisement on the barrel.

Spats McGee

Administrator
As Venom points out, free advertising. From the manufacturer's perspective, that may well be the single most important part of the gun.

Dragline45

Like the old saying goes, keep it simple stupid. Keep the logo and roll marks simple and tasteful and no one will complain, slather the slide with ugly logos and writing and the like, and people will complain.

Perfect example is the new Sig X-Five. I am interested in owning one of the older models, but I won't touch the new one. Why you ask? Well for one it's the corny Nerf X-Five logo, to make it worse it's laser engraved. One of the best things about stainless is every few years you can bead blast it and make it look brand new, well not with laser etching. Each time that laser etched logo is hit with blast media it becomes more faint and unappealing.

Most people who are going to spend big bucks on an all steel gun tend to be traditionalists, why the people at Sig thought the Nerf looking X-Five logo would appeal to this crowd is beyond me.

226x5e-9-cl.jpg

rightside

I love my RIA tactical, but hate the billboard! I've tried to lighten it with bluing, etc; Still there. I think I'm gonna' strip it and either reblue of duracoat it. Maybe the whole damn thing!

trigger643

I absolutely agree. It just ruins the aesthetics of a firearm and makes it completely undesirable.

A perfect example is this monstrosity, I mean really! Who wants all this gaudy jibberish marring up their otherwise beautiful gun. How it lasted 102 years without someone grinding it off is beyond me:

Colt1911.jpg

Here's another travesty of free advertising...

0008a7hk

If these were mine, I'd duracoat over them immediately.

Thankfully, this practice is pretty much confined to the gun industry...

SHE3PDOG

I can't say that I've ever cared or even noticed this until you brought it up. I honestly don't think I could care less about it. It certainly wouldn't be a determining factor in my gun purchases.

ttarp

Small or unobtrusive rollmarks were a large part in 1911 selection for me. The billboard guns really do turn me off, I know function trumps form every time, but its nice when you can get both.