An ethics question

2damnold4this

Our hunting club is made up of some great guys that are generous and often bring guests. Two of these guest are a father and his son. Normally, I think it's great to involve family in hunting but the father is a convicted felon. It worries me that some of my friends are bringing this this fellow to the club lands and loaning him firearms knowing that he is out on parole after shooting someone intentionally over ten years ago. I'm worried that my friends might lose their firearm ownership rights if they are caught loaning him firearms. What should I do?

PTS1

It is not your friends you should be worried about but the convicted felon as he is the one violating the law. I would inform the person bringing in the felon of the law being violated and if you see it happen again, you will be obligated to call the authorites. Yes, you will create a conflict between the two of you by doing this, but you are not the one violating the law. Good luck.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
What PTS1 said!

Absolutely correct. He is violating the law. Inform him of such and inform him that you don't want any problems but feel obligated to inform the authorities and will do so.

Pahoo

Your concerns are Valid !!!

Your concerns are very valid. Last year, we were directed by the state, not to accept any felons in our hunter safety classes and that legal action could be taken if we knowingly do so. We decided to bring up this question during our enrollments. We were also informed that felons cannot even handle ammo, let alone a firearm. M/L's are classified as firearms and includes them as well. Convicted felons are fully aware of this and these folks as well as your club, are playing with fire. Enforcement is a real problem.

Be Safe !!!

HiBC

Years ago,I recall a case where a woman was sent back to prison because she had a criminal history and then posed for a "girl with a gun " poster.

As far as the father/son aspect,setting the example for the son to sneak around the law versus saying"Son,I made mistakes,and now I must keep the straight and narrow."

It is just not OK

ZeroJunk

I suspect the majority of felons out there have guns. The guy wants to hunt I would leave him alone myself if I did not consider him a threat. Of course, everybody is going to do what they think is best in their own situation.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I suspect the majority of felons out there have guns. The guy wants to hunt I would leave him alone myself if I did not consider him a threat. Of course, everybody is going to do what they think is best in their own situation.

That may be true, but there are different "kinds" of felons. I have an uncle who is a convicted felon. It involved a physical relationship with a minor and it was like 40 years ago, maybe more. THIS GUY has a felony that specifically involved the violent use of firearms and it was not all that long ago. "Felon" doesn't say it, "shot someone" says it for me.

shortwave

Convicted felons are fully aware of this...
This guy knows he`s a felon, knows that he`s jeopardizing himself and those around him. Apparently doesn`t care. That said, seems to me he`s not only a felon but a selfish one at that. Wouldn`t feel bad at all talking to him and the other members of the hunting club and expressing my feelings.

fisherman66

Dunno how you feel about this; but bow hunting wouldn't violate the law, right? Perhaps that could be ground your club could agree on.

FrontSight

Depends on how you feel about the law. If you think it's an unjust law and want to fight it then educate people about it so that they can vote Not Guilty when they are on Jury Duty (they never tell you that you have the right to vote Not Guilty if you think a law is unjust - that is the final checks and balances in the legal system - the people have the final say in making and enforcing laws).

If you feel it is a just law then you have a dilemna on your hands; you need to decide then if you are willing to speak up or keep quiet about it.

simonkenton

The guys providing the guns are playing with fire. If they know the guy is a felon they are committing a crime.

If they don't know he is a felon they could still get into trouble.

Scorch

It is not your friends you should be worried about but the convicted felon as he is the one violating the law.
This is not accurate. Yes, it is a felony for a felon to possess a firearm, and it is also a felony to knowingly provide a felon with a firearm, so your club should take action in this case.

2damnold4this

Sorry for the typos in the op and thanks for the replies.

I guess I have several options.
I can do nothing, I can quit the club, or I can threaten to turn the fellow in. I think I should probably quit the club and ask my friends that are in the club not to mention taking the felon gun hunting.

Crankylove

I guess I have several options.
I can do nothing, I can quit the club, or I can threaten to turn the fellow in. I think I should probably quit the club and ask my friends that are in the club not to mention taking the felon gun hunting.

In my opinion, if you are passionate enough about this issue to quit going to that club , that issue should be reported to the local authorities. This isn't a case of someone always dumping hot brass down your neck, putting a round into your targets, or shooting in an unsafe manner, things that make you want to find a new place to shoot to get away from an annoyance. The "guest" and those loaning him firearms are willfully breaking the law, and even if you leave the club, you still have knowledge about the activity taking place, and could get in hot water if he gets caught and you say nothing.

If it were me, I would have no problem calling in the local LEO. I may not agree with all the laws that are in place, but they are still the law. If no one at the range knew about the felony conviction before loaning him firearms, but stopped loaning firearms when they found out, I wouldnt have an issue with still shooting there. But, to know about this man's past, and disregard the laws pertaining to it and allow him access to thier firearms............not the kinda people I want to hang out with, and makes me wonder what other laws they disregard.

Just my opinions, we all see things from different prespectives.

Big Caliber

My $0.02...take the issue to the club hierarchy first. If they do nothing, I'd contact the local leo's and then find another club.

jdscholer

To cover all of the bases, you might find out for sure that he hasn't completed a probationary period and process by which some felons can restore their firearms rights.

Seems like around here that involves 7 or maybe 10 years of CLEAN record, and then the approval of a or maybe the convicting judge.

If the guy seems like a decent dude, you might even put it to him like, "Ya know, you could get legal with guns if you did this---- and it would set a great example for your boy."

Many of us have a past that was less than stellar, and have, by the grace of God, put it behind us. Walking the straight and narrow is the only way to do it.

That being said, if your guts don't like the feel of things, and there is ANYTHING scary, flaky, or wrong about the way the guy behaves, call the cops and don't feel bad about it. Guys who are going the right direction don't seem scary or flaky, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell. jd

Big Bill

Talk to the club president and inform him of your intentions. Ask him/her to take appropriate action. Then, if your club continues to support this felon, I'd drop out of the club and find another one.

Powderman

I'm not going to suggest what you should or should not do. That's for you to decide.

However, I will tell you this:

Felons may NOT possess firearms unless their rights have been restored.

A felon in possession of a firearm, or in possession of ammunition, is guilty of a felony-level offense.

A person who provides the felon with a firearm, or access thereto, has also committed a felony offense.

A person who assists, aids or abets the possession of a firearm of a felon can be charged with rendering criminal assistance.

Do you REALLY want to be associated with people like this?

Think about it.

bswiv

In Florida the authorites have taken to crossreferencing quota hunt permits and hunting licenses with felony records. When they get a hit they then make a point of checking the WMA where the permit is issued spicifically looking for the guy.

Not a bad policy in my book.

Convicted felons do have a path to getting their civil rights back, including gun rights. They have paid their debt to society at some point and should avail themselves of the option if it's available.

Beyond that, as was suggested, the archery option is a exellent compromise.