An easy question ... What pistol grip stock for my Remington 870?

Garand Illusion

Hey all ...

I currently have a Remington 870 and I think I would like to put on a pistol grip type stock, like the Speedfeed III.

Any thoughts on that? Is there anything cheaper/better (and if better, not too much more expensive?).

I really only use this for sporting clays. I'm not trying to turn it into a "tacticool" shotgun, but because I shoot AR's a lot I just feel more comfortable with a pistol type grip. I don't even consider the 12 ga to be a personal defense weapon, as it is kept downstairs in the safe and unloaded.

Some others have posted on this subject on this forum (I did do a search before posting) and said I will regret getting this pistol grip and end up just going back to my original stock. But I am thinking I would like to give it a try.

Thoughts? I am somewhat of a noobie to the world of shotguns.

T. O'Heir

Hi. You might get some odd looks from the Sporting Clay lads, but not as much distain that you'd get from skeet and trap shooters. Pin or IPSC/IDPA shooters wouldn't bat an eye. Sporting Clays is sort of a practical practice for hunting with a shotgun.
A shotgun with just a pistol grip is useless. A pistol gripped stock is not. Control is increased. You might find the felt recoil is heavier though. Depends on the load. Probably not an issue for Clays. ATI makes one with a different stock angle too. Don't know if it's any better.
http://www.atigunstocks.com/products.aspx?category=16&page=1&id=44
In any case, if you don't like it, the same big screw driver you used to take off the wood stock will do nicely to put it back on again.

556A2

I had the Speedfeed IV-S on my 870P, and it was a quality stock. I actually did shoot skeet with it (switched my 18" I/C barrel for my 18" Cyl barrel) and did pretty good. You will get dirty looks and a rash of ignorant comments though.

However, nothing is more satisfying than outshooting the smug skeet shooter with the $1600 Beretta autoloader who berated you for shooting with a riot gun before the match. :D

madcratebuilder

KNOXX STOCK. It well made that 12ga feel like a 410.
remmy.jpg

Garand Illusion

I've already heard the warnings that clay shooting purists will look down on me for a pistol grip, and some might not want me there. But then, at the club I have been going to I imagine I'm looked down on for having a $250 shotty anyway.

Last time I shot sporting clays I was with a friend of mine with an inherited pump from the 50's that was pretty ugly looking and I had my Remington 870.

Another group was waiting for us to finish with a station, and when I went to pick up my basic shotgun I found it sitting in the rack next to over and unders, some inlaid, that probably cost as much as my car. The guys were actually nice enough, so no complaints about that, but if I can powder the clay pigeons better with a pistol grip than the normal I'd like to give it a try.

mikenbarb

Remember that they are called steady grips for a reason. To steady your stationary shooting. I think it would twist your wrist too much on a clays course. They are popular for turkey and deer hunting where you need that xtra help for keeping the gun steady for sighting on a small target. If you buy one let us know how you did with it on clays. Another thing to think about is if you need a higher comb to rest your cheek on.

Nemsis

I shoot clays with my 18" cyl bore 870 alot not at a regular trap/skeet range but at my local range that has spring loaded throwers that you can use yourself, it's a great way to get good with your gun and it's alot of fun

my870knoxxL.jpg

predator86

i have the ATI stock on my 870 and i love it!!! i also have the matching pistol grip up front but i take that off when i shoot clays...

Nnobby45

While the pistol grip is a good tool for SWAT teams who might need to hold on to the shotgun one handed while using the other hand elsewhere, it also has it's fans with we "civilians".

A stock that folds up to allow for storage seems to make sense.

I still have to remember Clint Smiths' admonishion against them, however. While a jammed 870 can be cleared by slamming the stock hard on the ground he's yet to see a fold up that didn't end up in pieces as a result.

It's already been mentioned that a pistol grip only without a stock is close to worthless.

Garand Illusion

Great info, everybody! Right now I am looking at the ATI stock. I found a good deal on it, but it doesn't include the foreend grip and I think the gun would look stupid with a black stock and wood foreend. I found the fore end for another $20, but that seems like a lot for what it is.

As soon as I find the best deal I'm going to give it a try. Even if I don't like it, it's only about $60 or so. And if I ever do decide to go tactical I can just add on a mag extenstion and 18" barrel ;)

DavidC

Can anyone offer some instruction on how to remove and replace the stock on the 870? Maybe I should put it in the shop?

Nemsis

2 phillips head screws hold your rubber pad on then under that 1 flat head screw holds the stock to the reciever it's a piece of cake.