An AK clone is 'reliable' after how many th. rds?

This question was begun at SKSboards soon after I acquired my first AK clone, a Maadi "ARM" a few month ago. The 'ARMs' imported by Knox are usually considered to be a safer bet than some of the Maadi "MISR" variety imported by Knox.
I already had two all-original Saigas (.223 & 7.62x39), which have been perfect.

The solitary glitch: when the Maadi was first tried out, I pulled the bolt fully aft to check for an empty chamber, and the bolt carrier was Stuck solid.
A firm, quick tap of a screwdriver onto the button freed the bolt and it functioned normally. Even then, the release button did not seem to protrude the normal distance behind the bolt cover.

A quick hand-filing of the bottom of the button's square hole did the trick. The button then protruded normally, as with both Saigas.
Approx. 1,000 rounds Since the square hole was filed a tiny bit, operation has been perfect--so far. Incidental here about the magazines, most of the ammo has fed from a 20-rd. Hungarian "Tanker" mag.:)

Last edited:

TXAZ

Maadi is the Egyptian AK , "Misr" is Arabic for "Egypt".
They are pretty solid, and the round count should be many tens of thousands.

Some of the parts are cast, and may have had a burr that was preventing the button from fully seating.
No go out and enjoy!

Last edited:

highpower3006

The "button" at the rear of the receiver is not a bolt carrier release. It is there to retain the cover and is part of the the recoil spring assembly. The only thing I can think of as to why it had anything to do with holding the bolt carrier back is the carrier was riding out of the rails at the rear and when you wiggled it, the bolt went back into position on the rails.

To find out what is going on you will need to remove the cover and study the movement of the bolt carrier and it's relationship to the various parts. AK's were never designed to have a recoil buffer, but you may need to install one to limit the rearward travel of the carrier.