AMT Longslide 45

smee78

So I finally picked up my AMT Hardballer 45 Longslide, I had found it at a local pawn shop and had put it on lay-a-way. I got it home and put its new shoes on it right away, it came with a pair of Pacs wrap around grips. I cant wait to give it a wipe down and lube and get it to the range.

Attachments

• AMT new shoes.png
    AMT new shoes.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 132

peggysue

Mine,. Older pic when i first go it a few years ago. Has different grips and i sand blasted compensator to match the gun.

578203d1380971339t-glimpse-my-little-collection-1384256_640893009264750_983634965_n.

Last edited:

smee78

That is a good looking setup you have there PeggySue, I am thinking about putting on a compensator just to add another inch to the end of the gun but will wait to shoot it first before I start changing anything.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I just hope she shoots as good as she looks.

jaymce

Awesome. I would like to find on but they are difficult to find due state law. I was lucky and found a Javilina which I grabbed still want a Hardballer longslide though

44 AMP

Staff
Arnold, did indeed ask for a ".45 long slide, with laser sight" in the original Terminator movie. At the time, the laser sight used was movie special effects. There were none that small, at the time the movie was made.

Laser sights did exist, but at the time Terminator was made, technology had only gotten them down to the size of a carton of cigarettes. Real ones didn't get as small as the one in Terminator until many years after the movie was made, and then, they got even smaller...

Nice find on the Longslide. AMT 1911s have a less than stellar reputation for working well. Some do, some don't. I hope yours does.

Good Luck!

agtman

The lazer sights Arnold used back then was as long as the slide.

Just going by memory, not a pic, but that's what I seem to recall.

The laser that Arnold used was mounted on a rail coming up off one of the grips. I think it ran on top for the length of the slide, or thereabouts.

Along with that shiny stainless look, the long-slide/laser combo came across as all high-techy and futuristic - for back in the day anyway. I remember a comment by a friend who saw the movie saying, to the effect, "What kind of space gun was that?"

P71pilot

I want a longslide (6" or 7" barrel) 1911 so bad. Really in .40 super or 10mm.

One day I will have one built. When I can afford a $3000 pistol. For now I am content with my 2 thunder makers

HiBC

I have a 38 Super built on a AMT frame.Which means I know not much about the AMT 1911s.
There was a learning curve with early stainless 1911 clones.
I suggest staying on top of lubrication to avoid galling.

I don't know if they had problems estimating casting shrinkage or what,but you MAY find some small parts,like a magazine catch,are a problem to replace.
A common aftermarket one is just problematic.I forget specifics,but we had to make some parts from scratch to fit.

In fairness,we found some bare frames to buy.It may have been that our frames were sold as seconds.Maybe they were non-conforming frames AMT did not want to build on.I don't know.

Nice looking pistol! Congratulations!

smee78

I recall reading an article that Arnold had to have a wire running to his pocket where the power pack was to power the laser.

I'm just happy to have stumbled onto this one, its been a while that the sun had shined on this ole dog. I cant wait to take her out to run, I had a range day all setup but mother naure did not play well so it had to be pushed out a little. I will be sure to post the results of the range day, even if it does not run well (I hope it does) I still will likly keep it just because its so cool looking.

hemiram

I hope you got one of the good ones! Mine, sadly, wasn't good at anything, except looking impressive. It was very touchy about ammo, it didn't like hollow point ammo at all, and was happiest with the higher velocity stuff. It had a tendency to "limp wrist" unless it was held with a death grip, and that was why I got rid of it.

Good luck!

hodaka

I did the same thing

It was in the 80's and my first venture into 1911's. Turned me off to the design and I sold it. A few years ago I bought a S&W and then a Ruger Commander. Now I'm a 1911 fan. My AMT was just not up to it.