AMT Backup

Ibmikey

Anyone have one that actually fires reliably? The backup ( both OMC AND LATER AMT) pistol has a less than stellar reputation. OMC pistols had zebra wood grips and cast metal base plate finger grip mags, later guns used cheap plastic grips that are often broken and a plastic finger grip baseplate on the mag which also often broke.

PolarFBear

Ibemikey. ????? Owned 3 45 DAO Backups. One new, two used. Only one ran passably and it was NOT the new one. I have a fasination with the AMTs, but will avoid. Found a very acceptable substitue in the S&W M&P 45C. Lighter than the AMT, holds more than the AMT, and WORKS! No more AMTs for me.

PolarFBear

I was wrong, again

Not desirous of reopening an old thread just an update. I broke my rule -- again. Went to a gun show and another one followed me home. Initial field stripping revealed a "coal mine" of coke and carbon inside. So, it must shoot? Dirtiest gun I have EVER cleaned. But the price was right (cheap) and those 45's do call to me. A range visit IS in order.

DaleA

Initial field stripping revealed a "coal mine" of coke and carbon inside. So, it must shoot? Dirtiest gun I have EVER cleaned.

Just like a car dealer in my youth saying the high mileage was an indication of how good and reliable the vehicle MUST be.

Free guide to 1960's-1970's used car speak:
"Lemons" what other dealers sell
"Cherries" what we sell
"Nuts" what you were if you believed him about the lemons and cherries.

And this skit about the used car dealer and his mark, I mean customer.
"So you like the car but not the mileage?"
"Yeah. I like the car but I'm afraid I just couldn't buy it with that many miles on it."
Well kid, come on back in a couple of hours."

PolarFBear

Thanks DaleA. A really good chuckle. And as a used car dealer and auction owner I have bought MY share of Lemons, Cherries and found a few Nuts to sell to. These AMTs are my "karma".

Jim Watson

Back when they were in production, one here "blew up." I didn't see it so I don't know how energetic it was and how bad the shooter was hurt.
Point is, he sued EVERYBODY. AMT for making a dangerous gun, S&W for making dangerous ammunition, and the dealer for selling it all to him.