AMT Backup 380 questions

TennJed

Are the older model AMT Backup 380s (not the DAO version) DA/SA or is it single action only. I al talking about the one with the grip safety and thumb safety. If it is not double action on the first pull can you decock it safely? If you decock it, is the hammer exposed to cock?

Thanks

Tad_T

The model that you are talking about can be a Backup or a Backup II. I have a Backup II that I bought new in 1992.

The AMT Backup II .380 is Single Action Only.

If you charge the weapon, it is cocked until you pull the trigger.

The safety does not decock the weapon.

It does not have an exposed hammer.

The safety is Up is On, white dot exposed. Down is Fire, red dot exposed.

slicers63

I have a very early Backup made by OMC. There is no way to decock it except to pull the trigger and there is no visible hammer.

TennJed

Thanks guys. I haven't seen it in person yet. The model I am looking at is a "D" serial number. I don't know if anyone knows if that is a II or not. I know they have mixes reviews, but "supposedly" this is not picky on ammo and the safeties function as they are supposed to.

If anyone can shed any light on the"D"
Serial numbers I would greatly appreciate it. Also is the Backup considered drop safe?

Thanks

slicers63

Mine has an A05xxx serial number. It functions very well, it never has had a malfunction. As far as being drop safe I do not know, never having dropped mine.

Tad_T

Mine is R026XX.

I've never dropped mine either.

I have shot it regularly over the years. I've probably put about 2500-3000 rounds through it. The only two malfunctions that it has ever had were from the same box of Tula steel cased. It has never malfunctioned any other time in the 21 years that I have owned it.

Someone gave me a box of the Tula steel cased .380. It was the ammo, not the weapon. It wouldn't function in my wife's Bodyguard or my daughter's TCP either. I'll never buy a box of it.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you avoid the .380 Backup.

My Mother had one for a number of years.

It was not particularly reliable with FMJ ammo, and less so with hollowpoints, and it would throw ejected brass straight back in my face.

Even more disturbing was what I learned when I ended up brokering its sale to Mac Scott of Scott McDougal Gunsmithing. He needed an early production one as he was serving as an expert witness in a lawsuit.

Seems that the early ones had a significant safety defect in that the safety would be fully OFF when it had traveled through less than 10% of its travel length.

In other words, even when the safety was "ON," it was pretty much off.

TennJed

Thanks everyone. Mike, I have no idea how the mechanics of the Backups safety works so if this is a stupid question please forgive me. Is it something that can be tested for? Lets say you dryfire it with the safety in various positions, if it seems to work now should it be something that would not cause a problem down the road? Or is it something that can develop at any time?

Do you know of any issues with the grip safety? I appreciate your feedback. Just to the naked eye it seems like the 2 safeties would make it less likely for a ND, but i see that may not be the case

Thanks again!