Ammo tsts-- Mini 14 Tac vs HBAR

Nnobby45

Wanted to see the impact difference of different brands of ammo along with different bullet weights. That was the main purpose.

Used an AR15 HBAR with 1 in 7" twist and a new Mini 14 Tac with 1 in 9".

Tested:

Norinco 55 ball
Hornady 60 gr. TAP FPD
Hornady 75 gr. TAP FPD
CorBon DPX 53 gr.
Fed. 64gr. SP

3 rds. rapid fire (about 5 sec's) for 15 rds. for each rifle.

Some conclusions:

Of course the HBAR is more accurate, but the Mini 14 Tac is much better than earlier versions.

3 rds each isn't much for an accuracy test, but 15 rd. aggragates provide a useful comparison between rifles as well as general accuracy capability of both rifles.

The 1 in 9" Mini 14 twist will stabilize the 75 gr. Hornady TAP FPD, and the HBAR's 1 in 7" twist isn't real detrimental to lighter bullet weights, although the CorBon DPX is all copper and longer in length than typical bullets of that weight--it's the length that effects twist, not weight.

I wouldn't hesitate to change ammo brands or weights in either rifle if I needed to, since 50 yd. accuracy was all 15 rds. under 3" for the AR, and about 5" for the Mini 14.

Individual grps. under 1.5" are common with the Mini-14, with TAP 75 gr. under 1.5". That's three MOA or better with iron sights, rapid fire, and twice the accuracy of my earlier version 185 series.

The HBAR EOTEC's (Red Dot) sighting system provided much more precisioin than the iron sighted Mini-14, so the rifles are probably closer than this test would indicate.

Barrels were never allowed to get hot, but weren't cooled down between series.

Again, not an extensive test for accuracy. Mostly wanted to see how different ammo zeroed. Was pleasantly surprised in that regard.

For the Mini 14, After the first 3 Norinco ball (cold bbl?) went a little low, the rest were pretty close.

I think the new 580 series Mini 14 with it's better sights and superior bedding system make this a reasonably impressive rifle. Yes, the opposing screw sights aren't fun to adjust, but they're not that hard, and once set, stay there. Like to see how this rifle shoots when I put my Vari- X III 1.5 to 5X on there.

Attachments

• Sighting AR-M14 012.jpg
    Sighting AR-M14 012.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 46
  • Sighting AR-M14 014.jpg
    Sighting AR-M14 014.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: