Ammo Test Question

Shadi Khalil

Hello all.

I've been carrying Winchester PDX in my 637 and recently came across this test on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VSb8_ClcVQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I was wondering, is the 4 layers of denim a standard practice for ballistic gelatin test? I understand getting some material on the gel but 4 layers of denim? Seems like a bit much but what do I know? I figured someone here would have some insight on the subject.

Thanks.

Shadi.

Salmoneye

Denim or not, to me it looks like that bullet will not ever expand at any .38 velocity, +P or not...

Reminds me of the Hornady 158 grain FP XTP... Won't even begin to expand till over 1100fps...

Shadi Khalil

Well that's not good. I had read a while back that they were comparable to the Gold Dot short barrel stuff. I'm usually not over concerned with ammo type if it's a JHP. However, the cost of PDX, while not terrible, isn't cheap either.

Mueller

The 4 layers is often used to simulate typical cold weather wear.

Do a Google under FBI ballistic testing or test protocol and you will have a lot to read thru.

Do a search on the firing line, there are multiple threads with links to the information as well.

Shadi Khalil

The 4 layers is often used to simulate typical cold weather wear.

Do a Google under FBI ballistic testing or test protocol and you will have a lot to read thru.

Do a search on the firing line, there are multiple threads with links to the information as well.

When I first started seeing it, I did just that and I swear I read good things. My Walmart had it periodically at first but now it's always stocked to the brims. I guess I'll go back to the old standards.