Ammo storage

Eazyeach

I have 2 options for storing my bulk ammo:

In my dry attic where it gets hotter than hades in summer and colder than snot in the winter.

In my damp basement where the temperature basically stays the same.

I know neither is optimal but "She who must be obeyed" has put an end to my expanding footprint in our closet.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Catalyst

I'm not sure how much you're talking about in total, but I would be on the lookout for containers with a good seal and some desiccant packs. Then the basement would be safe.

carguychris

My vote would be for the basement IF ammo that's being stored long-term is placed in sealed containers with desiccant packs inside.

Heat causes smokeless powder to break down and turn acidic. Moisture causes obvious corrosion problems and less-obvious powder-breakdown problems, but it's generally more practical to seal out moisture than to seal out heat.

[EDIT: Catalyst beat me to it. Great minds think alike. ;)]

Sevens

I think either a dry attic or a damp basement is perfectly acceptable storage for a wife who figures that "laying down the law" is an acceptable practice.

It's not like you are trying to hide a 1971 Camaro under the dinner table or in the pantry.

Eazyeach

Good one Sevens. She is happy that I am not a car guy. At least with the shooting sports you can keep your stuff about of sight out of mind.

My idea for basement storage was to lay down a pallet to keep it off the ground. Then I would put the ammo into ammo cans. I would place the ammo cans in a lockable tote to keep the little ones out. I'd put one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers in the tote.

I'm just nervous about keeping the ammo fresh because I am not made of money and I can't afford to waste a few hundred bucks.

Skans

Seal the ammo in water-tight containers, or wrap in visqueen plastic sheeting and duct tape, and store it in the basement. Stable, cool temperatures are much better than extreme hot and extreme cold.

vkeith

Eazyeach said:
...My idea for basement storage was to lay down a pallet to keep it off the ground. Then I would put the ammo into ammo cans. I would place the ammo cans in a lockable tote to keep the little ones out. I'd put one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers in the tote.

I'm just nervous about keeping the ammo fresh because I am not made of money and I can't afford to waste a few hundred bucks.

Using a pallet is a good way to keep the ammo off the floor, and it will support a lot of weight. You might also want to prime and paint the pallet wood (or seal it in some fashion) so that the it doesn't wick up water or moisture.

If you seal the ammo in plastic bags before placing it in the ammo cans, it should give you an extra measure of protection for almost no cost.

Eazyeach

Good tips and some humor!! Thanks.

I was leaning towards storing my ammo in the basement. And after reading your advice that is exactly what I'm going to do.

Going to Bill Goodman's this Saturday with hopes of finding some reasonably priced bulk ammo.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'd go for the basement where the temperature doesn't get especially hot or cold. Just put it in containers that will keep it dry.

kilimanjaro

Basement is best, attic is bad. Instead of painting a rough pallet, get some scrap roof tab and set under the pallet at contact points with the slab. Be sure to inspect any plumbing down there and consider a sump pump or drain if not there already.

Rifleman1952

"She who must be obeyed"

Gee...that sounds just like my wife!:D

I'd go with the basement and your suggestions of elevating with the pallet and using ammo cans etc. but don't forget about a good room dehumidifier. A good one can pull quite a bit of moisture out of the air.

vito

Get your basement waterproofed. Its not cheap but its doable to get the basement as dry and comfortable as the rest of the house. Not only will it eliminate concerns about your ammo, but will greatly add to the value of your home. A dank damp basement is a real turn off to a prospective home buyer.

kilimanjaro

We live in a wonderfully modern era, I must endeavor to keep up with it at times.

Posted from a crude but effective tin can and copper winding apparatus. :D