Ammo Shipping Questions ??? Oregon

jdscholer

I should know this, but I don't and --- there are no stupid questions. Right?

Are there any special laws or regulations regarding the shipping or receiving of live amunition from say one member to another?

Is a FFL required? Is USPS OK? Does it need to be declared?

The deal I'm interested in would be from Kansas (the seller) to Oregon (me). Neither he nor I have ever done this before, so this is new territory for us. Exciting huh?

Thanks to whoever might help us out. jd

Big G

It will need to go UPS and have "ORM-D" marked on the box. There is no extra charge for a ORM-D package but it has to be declared. They will help you with it.

jdscholer

I suppose we can assume that since firearms aren't allowed in the U S Post Office, ammio isn't either.:rolleyes:

Do ya happen to know what ORM-D stands for? jd

Gunnerz

The seller can just box the ammo up and use a black marker and write "ORM-D" somewhere on the carton. Most hubs will have a little "ORM-D" sticker to put on the carton. Since I always do my shipping through a small local mail store, via UPS Ground, I'd just write the ORM-D with a marker and add "small arms ammunition". I've shipped it UPS and FedEx. Never had any problems.

ORM-D = Other Regulated Material - Domestic

DMK

It will need to go UPS and have "ORM-D" marked on the box. There is no extra charge for a ORM-D package but it has to be declared. They will help you with it.
Sometimes the UPS customer center employees don't know their own rules and give you a hard time. Just call the UPS 1-800 number (it's on the wall at the customer center) with your cell phone and have them verify that it's OK. I had one "security expert" give me a hard time, telling me that I needed to be hazmat certified and a bunch of other crap to ship a carton of 30-06. I called the UPS number right there and verified that it was OK, then handed the phone to the "expert".