Ammo question

odugrad

Should a mid-length rifle and carbine length rifle be able to use the same ammo with the same effects? Since there is less pressure in a mid-length does it do better with heavier loads? Or should you be able to shoot the same ammo with both rifles and have the same effect?

For example, a DDM4 V1 and DDM4 V3. Would one work better with lighter/heavier ammo?

DubC-Hicks

They'll both shoot the same ammo. Rifling twist rate is really what determines what weight bullets you should shoot.

Barrel length will affect velocity, which will affect POI.

I'm slightly confused as to what you mean by "mid-length rifle". Are you talking about the gas system or barrel length? As you can get two barrels the same length with different length gas systems: like a 16" barrel can have either a mid-length or carbine length gas system. I've never heard of a "mid-length rifle" before though.

If you're asking about the gas system's effect on bullet trajectory then I don't think there is one worth mentioning.

As far as lighter/heavier ammo is concerned, factory ammo is loaded to certain specs and do not go over a certain pressure. Both rifles can handle the same ammo. Mid-length gas systems are more marketing (IMHO) than nessicity. If you're racing the clock to win a competition where .01 seconds matters, a softer recoil impulse may help. If you're hitting paper on the weekend for fun you could probably shoot them both side-by-side and not tell the difference.

Barrel twist really doesn't go by bullet weight. It goes by bullet length. Generally same weight bullets are the same length, and it's easier to say 77 grain bullets out of a 1:7 twist rather than .87" bullets out of a 1:7 twist. (no idea on how long a 77 grain bullet is actually, but I have some noslers and sierras at the house I can measure tomorrow). The formula to determine proper twist rate uses bullet length though, not weight.

globemaster3

+1 to Semi Problomatic's words.

Normally, references to mid-length or carbine-length are to the gas system, not barrel length. In order to be able to better provide a response, let's clarify this.

If talking barrel length (like 14.5" vs 16" vs 18" vs 20" vs 24"), then let's talk length of barrel and not use gas system terminology, which is separate and has different connotations.

CTS

The longer the gas tube length the less violent the force of the gas used to cycle the bolt (to a point). It has been understood for some time now that carbines are generally seriously over-gassed. Mid length gas is about the best way to go on anything 18 or shorter. There are plenty of people using mid-length gas even on SBRs and plenty of manufacturers are building their 16" guns with mid length gas. It is just better. Period. The only problems I have seen are some rifle length gas guns in heavier cartridges like 6.5g and 6.8SPC have a problem cycling the lighter bullets and need the gas port opened up a little. Even this is fairly uncommon but it does happen. Mid length gas on a carbine is absolutely better than carbine length gas. In my opinion, carbine length gas systems should be forgotten. They are a thing of the past that was never a good design to begin with.

Marquezj16

Yes, No, Yes.

That's simple.

Ok, just kidding there.

If you are talking about heavier loads as in hotter loads as in reloading, then the answer the same. It's still up to the barrel specs as to what the pressure is not the gas system.

odugrad

Would shooting 45 grain frangible ammo be okay, too? The indoor range near me only allows this type of ammo.