Ammo Question

Don P

I have been reading here about wad cutters for SD in revolvers. Locally I have not been able to find them in any of the dealers. Anyone know who is carrying factory wad cutters? Thanks in advance.

markj

All of the wad cutters I have ever bought were hand loads. Might do a google search on it.

I found winchwester loads em:

38 SPL Wadcutter
Amount: 4000 rounds (2 cases, each with 40 boxes of 50 rounds, unopened)
Make: Winchester-Western Super Match - factory Target Loads
Caliber: .38 SPL Wadcutter 148 grain, #38SMRP

Have fired many a round of Federal Wadcutter over the years - unfortunately, the blue/silver box is not as good as the older red box,

and in the archive:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-317196.html

Last edited:

Sleuth

There is only one case where I recommended wadcutters for self defense. A petite, good looking news anchor of my acquaintance, who had a birth defect that caused her hands to curl. She was being stalked, and was unable to handle the recoil of anything more than a wc.

Other than that, there are far more effective defensive rounds on the market. The folks I have talked to who have been in shootings never mention recoil as a factor.

jmortimer

There are many who favor wadcutters or a large flat point aka meplat. Buffalo Bore makes the best - a 150 grain hard cast wadcutter that will go two feet in ballistic gelatin at standard pressure. This article from Guns and Ammo Handgun Mag site "Wicked Wadcutters" makes the case - not the best choice for most/many but for some of us, a large meplat, low recoil, inherent accuracy, and fantastic straight line penetration is the way to go. http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/HG_wickedwadcutters_200901/

MGMorden

The folks I have talked to who have been in shootings never mention recoil as a factor.

Indeed. You're very unlikely to care much about the recoil in any self defense shooting.

That said, my "go to" gun at home is a S&W Mod 64 that I keep loaded up with SWC's (handloads). Not much rhyme or reason except that I'm not that picky about "bullet performance" and I haven't bought any factory .38 ammo in a while, so my SWC target reloads are what I have sitting around at the moment.

In reality it's a bit fun to daydream, but on the off chance that the speculation ends and you really NEED a gun, as long as it's reliable and will put a bullet where you want it (of course that's a function of both you AND the hardware), the gun type, brand, and your choice of ammo is likely to mean very little.

Sleuth

I read the article you referenced - my comments were made with regard to factory wadcutters, which are loaded to low velocity for pure accuracy, far beyond the practical accuracy needed for a gunfight. ( I have shot 10's of thousands, and hold a Distinguished PPC badge.)

My agency used to issue the "Q4070" load, a 110g bullet at 1,000 FPS from a 2" barrel! I cronoed this load, and it does meet the standard. I have some left, this was the very first "+p+" load I ever heard of. It had an excellent record for stopping outlaws.

And if you live in some benighted state like New Jersey, which prohibits hollowpoints for personal defense, a wadcutter may make sense.

But hey, we live in an almost free country, choose your gun and ammo to suit yourself. Just make an informed choice, not one based on a trend, comments from a 'big name gunwriter', a cool looking box, or false "one shot stop" numbers. Do some research, verify sources, and choose something that has a proven track record. You are only betting your life, and the lives of you loved ones.

BTW, I do not know of any Law Enforcement agency that issues or allows wadcutters for duty ammo. That may be a clue.

Clifford L. Hughes

Don P:

You'll find that the Winchester 38 Special wadcutters are designed for 38 special auto loaders and used for the center fire match in bullseye competition. I have shot many of them and I have found them extreamly accurate. However, they are not powerful enough to use for defence. I suggest that you, if you are sensitive to recoil, try a standard velocity hollow point from any of the major manufactures in the 110 gr. to 125gr.

Semper Fi.

Funnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

jersey_emt

And if you live in some benighted state like New Jersey, which prohibits hollowpoints for personal defense, a wadcutter may make sense.

New Jersey does not prohibit hollow point ammunition for lawful purposes.

Sleuth

Then I stand (sit) corrected - I had heard you could not carry JHP unless you were LE. But AZ is a long ways from the Garden state.

Frasier

Okay, here's a question from a noob, how effective is the swc bullet for self defense? Can't seem to find much info on that.
Thanks

LarryNTX

The only wadcutter load for self defense that I've heard of is a hollow based wadcutter seated backwards. It makes one huge hollow point, and the soft pure lead expands easily. Accuracy isn't very good except at short range, but then that's all it's intended for.

Dwight55

When my wife and I lived in the big city, . . . I kept a snubby .38 and a Python both as HD weapons. Each was loaded first 2 rounds as bird shot, . . . last 4 were 158 gr. flat wad cutters.

I never had to use it, . . . can't vouch for it's effectiveness, . . . but we lived with neighbors on the other side of a wall, . . . didn't want to hurt them inadvertently.

May God bless,
Dwight

Don P

Thanks to all for their informative responses. Recoil is not a issue I was just looking for a effective SD round and as we all have read that the wad cutter makes a nice large hole even out of a snub nose. Never hurts to ask.

Sleuth

The lead SWC has been used successfully, but so have BB guns, sticks, and stones. Where deep penetration is more important than expansion (bears, for example), it could be a good choice. And shot placement becomes more important the less expansive your round is, all other things being equal.

Personally, I carry a heavy weight (for caliber) JHP by any one of the major manufacturers. That is 147g 9mm, 230g .45, 240g .44 Spl or Mag.

Of course, your choices may differ.

Last edited: