Ammo price hike

jimjc

I was at one of the local gun shops today and they told me that in May the price of ammo is going to go up 20%. They were in the process of orderig a lot of ammo at todays prices. Has anyone heard the same. I guess I going to get busy and order some myself. Here we go again with these bullet prices what will be next.

larryf1952

I'm glad that I just received my case of .45 185JHP's from Montana Gold and can roll my own...I'm pretty well stocked up now.

Falcon642

Yeah I've only seen ammo prices go down. I can find 9mm for $9 a box, .380 for $12 a box, and .40 for $13 a box. Last year at this time 9mm was $15 a box and everything else was $20 a box.

Ammo producers ramped up production during the great ammo scare of 2009, now there is a glut of ammo out there.

Hell in early 2009 I couldn't find .22 ammo!

Billy Shears

I haven't heard any rumors to that effect, but it's not necessarily a far-fetched idea. Demand has been high since right before the 2008 election and world wide commodity prices have gone up quite a bit recently. The price of copper has risen nearly 50% over the past 12 months. At some point the end user is going to have to absorb that increase.

PzGren

The financial crisis is coming to an end in many countries and demand for rawmaterials is rising again - and prices with it. The weak US$ will eventually be reflected in all goods that are traded internationally and while component cost is just making up a small fraction of ammo cost, any rise in component cost will be carried over to the finished product and ensure additional profits.

Stumper

Yep, 2 local shops are warning of the same thing except they expect the increase in April. It is actually very logical. Metal prices are up, fuel prices are up. Despite some lying colostomy bags in Washington saying that there is no inflation there HAS TO BE since the money supply keeps being increased.

nefprotector

My Wal Mart is just the opposite, ammo is dissappearing and NOT returning very quickly. Local shops are saying that they are having a hard time keeping ammo on the shelves and prices are already increasing. Iguess it's round two of the ammo shortage and ammo hoarding so stock up while you can. Dont believe me call the Local walmart Valley Alabama and ask for whichever popular cal that you like.

oneounceload

Most gun related companies tend to raise prices in the March/April time frame. Remember too that gas prices have recently jumped, (at least in my area) over .15/gallon - means shipping costs will be going up. Many states are strapped for cash and are raising all sorts of fees, taxes, and other costs - it all gets passed along to you the consumer

chris in va

I still fail to understand why high-volume shooters don't just get a simple reloading outfit and cut ties with the availability of ammo at a box store. It's really not difficult, and a reloading bench isn't even needed.

I still fail to understand why high-volume shooters don't just get a simple reloading outfit and cut ties with the availability of ammo at a box store. It's really not difficult, and a reloading bench isn't even needed.

Time, aptitude, space, and lack of interest are to name a few...

540mope

Time, aptitude, space, and lack of interest are to name a few...

to add to that...i remember people complaining about reloading supplies being scarce, and pricier at the same time ammo was in short supply. so no matter if you reload or not, the supply and demand gremlin will get ya.

btw...the local Wal Mart shelves are more stocked now than any time since 2008. they even have .357 Magnum available. shocking

FiveForSure

Just bought Federal XM193 5.56 in the brown box, 20 for $7 at my gun shop. I live in MA so no Wal-Mart and online ordering is a pain, so all things considered I think it's fantastic.

testuser

I'd have to drastically scale back my time at the range if it wasn't for my reloading bench!

I got back into reloading in 2009 specifically because of the ammo shortage. Primers were hard to find, but I was able to scrounge several thousand, as a result, I was out shooting as much as I wanted when others were hoarding.

T B Good

On Thursday at one of the shops, the woman who does the ammo ordering told me about the same 20% increase before summer.

FrankenMauser

to add to that...i remember people complaining about reloading supplies being scarce, and pricier at the same time ammo was in short supply. so no matter if you reload or not, the supply and demand gremlin will get ya.

You are correct. Even we reloaders had to deal with supply issues.

...But it's still cheaper, and a whole lot easier for us to keep enough components on hand for any chosen amount of ammunition, than it is for 99% of people to keep the same amount of factory ammo (let alone actually afford to buy said quantities of factory ammo).

mikejonestkd

Supply issues affect reloaders in a similar fashion, but we have the flexibility to use our powder and primers as needed. Having 10K of pistol primers and several pounds of Bullseye gives you alot of options - plinking ammo for 9mm, or 38, or warm loads for .357, 40 or 45. Lots more flexibility....lots

halo696

Seems this will be a hot topic this year but the truth is that it's definitely going up and not looking back anytime soon. I personally represent a fairly well known ammunition manufacturer. Not to get into boring details but all the lower prices you see are all a result of cash flow shortages for most smaller brands and distributors and the majority of that ammo is from standing in stock reserves or overstock.The majority are pushing out to gain cash to re up their distributor status for the year or gaining a place in line to lock in pricing for raw materials if a mfg. For some of you that think just because you see a decline in certain ammunition as an indicator of how things will be from here on I hope you aren't to disappointed mid this year. Not saying that ammo with be 100.00 a box for .9mm ball but if you are a price shopper, you might want to take advantage of the current situations. Basic economics, raw materials go up, the price of the products produced go up and the costs are passed to the end user in most all cases. Check out the link below. There are many reports like this but its just another small indicator. Believe it or not.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/finance-moreexpensivein2011/