Ammo one brand from another same grain different experience

djohn

Have you ever experienced a major difference from one brand to another.I am not talking about accuracy or how clean ammo runs through or malfunctions,I am talking about flash,loudness and recoil.

I was shooting my Glock 30 SF 45 with a box of Blazer brass 230 grain FMJ and If I did not know better it seemed like I was shooting a compensated Glock as far as flash and loudness.

What I noticed was a lot of flash and seemed more then most other ammo I have shoot and seemd to have a nasty flash and kick harder with a lot of noise.

I through a mag of what I had left of indepenence 230 grain FMJ and did not notice the flash and seemed a bit tammer recoil.

What am I missing or is it possiable there is more or less grain then whats is says on the box from one to the other.

TheNev

Yep, Estate shotshells won't cycle my Browning Auto-5 16ga. Winchester and Remington will. All ammo has the same specs.

Bud Helms

The "grain" weight of the projectile is not the same as the "grain" weight of the propellant charge. Two different brands of ammo might have the same weight bullet but have different powders or a slightly different weight (amount) of the same type propellant charge. They will act entirely different in the same gun.

Jim March

Good ammo, esp. combat ammo, has the powder cut with a bit of flash suppressant...I think it's 2% potassium but I don't recall for certain. (2% of the total powder charge that is.)

Sounds like the Blazer wasn't so cut.

djohn

Thank you bud you explained it clearly.Its pretty obvious I know nothing about ammo loading or hows it done but was just wondering why there was so much flash. I can't recall ever that much out of a 45 that I would expect and experienced from a hot 357 magnum.

Thank you Jim,I have no darn clue what that all means but it sure sounds good.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Ammunition made by different companies is made with different components. So even to the extent that all ammunition in a given caliber is made to satisfy SAMMI specifications as far as dimensions and pressure goes, different propellants and different primers can make a difference in velocity, muzzle flash, recoil pulse, noise, residue, etc.

Bud Helms

djohn, a good reloading manual (Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman) are chocked full of neat secrets like that. Get one and amaze your TFL friends! :D

[Edited to add: fiddletown is right on the money.]

carguychris

FWIW I compared 2 types of .38Spl ammo before I decided which to carry. Winchester .38Spl+P 125gr JHP vs. Black Hills .38Spl+P 125gr JHP. I tested them at dusk to maximize the effect of muzzle flash.

The Winchester had substantially more muzzle flash and recoil despite lower advertised velocity and muzzle energy. It was also slightly less accurate.

Guess which load is in my carry gun. ;)